Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received this brand new computer in March, switched out of S mode and everything was fine. Recently, I checked the HP Support Assistant App and it said I needed to update my computer so I did, and it installed a BIOS update, however, after it installed it and restarted the computer reverted to Windows in S mode and I cannot change it back to Windows 10 home at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't think you understood what I said. I had already tried to follow the instructions you have shared and it led to a grey page that said Try Again with an error message. 

However, I got it fixed myself by resetting the computer and wiping the hard drive. After doing that in the initial set up I opted out of connecting to my wifi and just finished set up there. Once my computer started up, I followed the steps you outlined and I was able to see the correct screen and switch out of s mode. 

I guess the principle is that if windows reverts but microsoft store has already updated I won't be able to switch out so I didn't connect to wifi so that microsoft store wouldn't update and I'd be able to switch out without issues. 

Hope this post helps future souls who had to go through what I just went through.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@kcyannbeck

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Windows 10 in S mode does not support any legacy Win32 apps, HP repair tools, or any preinstalled HP apps, such as HP Support Assistant (HPSA). Drivers are not distributed through hp.com or HPSA. All drivers for Windows 10 in S mode are available through the Windows Update (WU) server only.

Try this workaround: 

1. On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
  2. In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. ...
  3. On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't think you understood what I said. I had already tried to follow the instructions you have shared and it led to a grey page that said Try Again with an error message. 

However, I got it fixed myself by resetting the computer and wiping the hard drive. After doing that in the initial set up I opted out of connecting to my wifi and just finished set up there. Once my computer started up, I followed the steps you outlined and I was able to see the correct screen and switch out of s mode. 

I guess the principle is that if windows reverts but microsoft store has already updated I won't be able to switch out so I didn't connect to wifi so that microsoft store wouldn't update and I'd be able to switch out without issues. 

Hope this post helps future souls who had to go through what I just went through.

HP Recommended

@kcyannbeck

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.