Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G7 Celeron
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi i am facing an issue while trying to upgrade the BIOS in my laptop. I have searched for the bios based on the model number and downloaded from the link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-250-g7-notebook-pc/24381316/model/24381320?sku=6... and tried to upgrade i am getting the below error:

"The BIOS update is not support legacy flash method. Please create Recovery USB  Flash drive to create crisis dongle and run this utility again"

I  created the Recovery USB Flash and tried to boot with it, but failed. I have also tried to upgrade from BIOS but i did not find any option to upgrade the BIOS

What is procedure to upgrade bios for this model please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So have you installed your own version of Windows? FreeDos? If you have Windows 10 you can add UEFI support with a download from HP:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp95001-95500/sp95333.exe

Choose to put this in the recovery partition on the hard drive and you should then have full F2 UEFI support. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I just was forced to do this on a different model HP laptop. The Windows executable BIOS update would not work apparently because I had the new Build 1903 on the computer. So I made the BIOS recovery usb stick from another computer running an older version of Windows 10 using that Windows executable downloaded from the driver page. When you open it you get an option to make the usb stick. Then you do not boot from it, you boot into the UEFI diagnostic environment and have the usb stick inserted. Tap esc as you power up then F2 and choose BIOS as one of the options then upgrade and let it browse for the proper .bin file which is on the usb stick. The upgrade of the BIOS will then proceed. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you Mr. Huffer, I have tried that option unfortunately i don't have UEFI diagnostic environment. When pressed F2, i see only 

Memory Test

Hard Drive Check

Language

Exit

Thanks

Sridhar

HP Recommended

So have you installed your own version of Windows? FreeDos? If you have Windows 10 you can add UEFI support with a download from HP:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp95001-95500/sp95333.exe

Choose to put this in the recovery partition on the hard drive and you should then have full F2 UEFI support. 

HP Recommended

Hello Mr. Huffer, Thank you very much. I have followed your instructions and added UEFI environment and managed to update the BIOS successfully. Thank you once again

Cheers

Sridhar

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.