Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-db0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has issues that the ventilator turns a lot. Especially when the power charger is connected. I have Always used HP Support Assistant and Windows Update to keep my system updated. But when I visited the HP website Software and Drivers, it recommends me different drivers for my specific laptop then the ones that HPSA suggests. Especially it recommends BIOS F.20 when HSPA doesn't. What should I do? Should I download the drivers the website suggests or not?

My laptop:

HP Laptop 15-db0xxx

Windows 10 Home 64 bits Version: 18362.418 (1903)

Microprocessor: AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G  

BIOS F.11

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check if you notebook have the Cool Sense Technology (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02638953). If yes, see what this is "switched on".

Thank you for visiting the HP Public Forum.
Have a nice day !.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Danny72 Welcome to HP Community!

Go ahead and install the BIOS using the HP Support assistant as it is more accurate, considering it uses the serial number of your device, if it doesn't work, it could be due to glitch, you could attempt reinstalling the software and/or alternatively, use the HP website instead as the last resort.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for the feedback. Your answer doesn't entirely respond my original question, and that was "why is the HP website Software and Drivers suggesting updates to drivers and BIOS, when the HP Support Assistant program isn't?"

I had already reinstalled the HPSA program, but it still doesn't suggest new updates to drivers or BIOS. 

Kind Regards, Danny

HP Recommended

Hi, Have you tried looking into windows power settings and checking if the fan options are different for plugged in and battery? This might explain the difference between the 2. How long do you have your pc for and how hot does the CPU run? If updating the bios doesn't work you can always try to clear out some dust with a can of compressed air. 

HP Recommended

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the feedback.

".into windows power settings and checking if the fan options are different for plugged in and battery?"

Do you know where to find these settings in Windows 10? In my power settings I couldn't find anything about fans.

"how hot does the CPU run?"

The bottom gets really warm during charging. The exact temperature I don't know. I have bought my laptop in january this year. It is positioned on a stable, flat surface.

Greetings, Danny

HP Recommended

Under advanced settings, you can choose to change the cooling policy from active to passive(at the cost of processor speed though).

Another thing to try is to put the minimum processor state at 5%, which might make it run cooler. power settings.png

Dust is probably not a problem if you've bought your laptop this recently.  

Greetings, Jack

HP Recommended

Thanks Jack. That submenu was really hard to find. 

This is how my power policy was set, "as recommended by HP" (It's in Dutch but the same as your screenshot).

Energieschema.png

So I only need to adjust "System Cooling/On Battery" to "Passive"? But I mostly have a problem with fan noise when the charger is plugged in.  

HP Recommended

Check if you notebook have the Cool Sense Technology (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02638953). If yes, see what this is "switched on".

Thank you for visiting the HP Public Forum.
Have a nice day !.
HP Recommended

Thanks Bestoftheworld. I have tried your proposition and installed Coolsense. The switch is ON. I will have a look at how it improves the functioning of my laptop in the coming days.

Kind Regards, Danny

HP Recommended

Hi TheBestOfWorld,

Since I have installed the Coolsense program  and turned it on, the ventilating noise hasn't been so bad anymore. So thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to the other contributors as well. I haven't changed my BIOS version yet, as my Original question "why is the HP website Software and Drivers suggesting updates to drivers and BIOS, when the HP Support Assistant program isn't?" hasn't been answered here. Maybe I will ask this as a separate question later.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.