Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-af131dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I'm having a bit of a situation and I think my power button went bad. I can not power on my laptop but is charging and taking power from the wall outlet. I have tried a different charger, pulling battery for hard reset, and still have got nothing. Any Ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@mweyant226 

This model is what, four years old?  Since it's long out of warranty, there is no point in trying to contact HP to get it fixed as they will either not fix it or will charge you a LOT, probably more than it would cost to replace the laptop.

Since you can't start it, you can't run diagnostics either -- so there's no way to check out the hardware to see if there is a different fault that needs to be addressed.

Your best bet is to see if there is a local laptop repair place that will give you an estimate for replacing the power switch -- presuming that it is a contacts issue, not a failing motherboard.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hey sorry about the late reply, I do alot of home repairs and I have actually fixed the problem earlier today. The problem was with the charging port, that is the last thing I would have expected to be the problem considering the charging LED came on. Thanks anyways for your tips!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.