Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cb002ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After updating BIOS from F.17 to F.18 suddenly, max audio level has dropped significantly (to about 50% of what it used to be). Furthermore, after about 5 seconds in the beginning of playing any multimedia, sound disappears for about 3-4 seconds and then returns (tested in aimp, VLC, MPC-HC, even playing videos in youtube). Reinstalling drivers, installing older versions of drivers (tested all of them, provided at an official HP driver support page) didn't help. Tried both manually and using windows Update. Audio is still quieter than it used to be. Checked everything: sound level in the payer, sound level in B&O control panel, and sound level of Windows itself.

Funny thing: level returns to normal, if you install the oldest driver (sound is quiet), make a backup of a system, let windows update install the newer version of an audio driver, roll back to that update - sound returns back to normal.

Problem #2. I have an external HDD, which I ued to plug in an work with it right away. The problems began after BIOS update: first, the drive won't start if you just plug the USB cable in. You have to do it very slowly, and then the system would recognize it. Also, the max write speed decreased from 100 mbps to abut 35. The problem is not in the HDD or its drivers or USB cable, since it perfectly works with another laptops, no issue with it. What's exceptionally funny, is that before, even on the naked system without any usb-drivers HDD would work perfectly, and now, even after insatlling all possible USB drivers (like, intel chipset or others) I assume, the problem is that USB management got corrupted after BIOS update.

I tried downgrading to BIOS version F.17, but could not. Even pressing WIN+B at the start did nothing, except for re-flashing bios F.18. All forums say that it seems impossible to downgrade, but I have to have a proper working motherboard.

Any users of 15-cb laptops, has anyone faced the same problem?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@bibidybop

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.
I did update the drivers in various ways, and I did what you suggested (again), still the problem is present. The sound didn't recover, and usb works as incorrectly as it used to be.
I noticed once the problem occurs, no re-installarions of the drivers help.
I assume, it could be only bios. Because before that, I used the same system image (win10 ltsc) for 1 year and my computer worked perfectly. Until the recent bios update. Is there any way to recover bios to a previous version, or even, to a default version, set up at the factory? I did Win+B combination, and Win+C, nothing helped.

HP Recommended

@bibidybop

You could try installing an earlier BIOS version and check if that helps

Link: https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-power-15-cb000-laptop-pc/15551388/model...

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Tried doing all you have listed as well. In short - nothing worked.

Flashing BIOS F.17 didn't work under Windows (I got the message "The update is not compatible with your computer"). I was only able to create a USB stick with a BIOS image or copy the image to a certain location.

f17.png

Trying to create a recovery usb-stick with BIOS (option 2) didn't help as well, because when booting while pressing win+b, the laptop refused to recognize a USB stick with BIOS image on it (tried all three usb-ports except thunderbolt), and I kept getting messages "insert a usb drive".

I tried to launch UEFI HP tools (pressing F2 before launching windows). Indeed, I was able to access a menu entry "flash bios image", I did find BIOS image on a USB drive (actually, three files with .bin extension. Tried all), but again, I got the message "This update is not compatible with your system"

The same with the eraliest BIOS avaliable for download (F.04). I assume, HP does not allow to downgrade to previous versions of BIOS.
Is there any other ways to downgrade BIOS, except listed above?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@bibidybop

If it is a BIOS corruption and if we are unable to Recover the BIOS, then you would need to send the Notebook to the Service Center to Flash the BIOS

As a last resort, I suggest you perform a Reset and check if that helps

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have not only reset Windows, I have reinstalled it from srcatch multiple times, it did not help. I'm afraid I have used all of the ooportunities.
Can you advice if there are any service centers in Germany? I have not found any on the web-site

HP Recommended

@bibidybop

I suggest you contact HP Support and they will provide you all the Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.