Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook x360 - 14c-ca0012tu
Chrome OS

So I tried to calibrate my battery using the method 2 in this [content removed]

however, after that, I checked the battery health (no, not the battery level percentage... which is what an HP customer support representative thought I was talking about) and it dropped from 88% (the night before) to 84%.

Has anyone had or heard of similar experience? What exactly is happening here? Should I have my battery replaced and will HP charge me for that? I am still under warranty.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I recognized battery issues as well.
I bought my x30 14c-ca0235ng in March 2021. I have 65 loading cycles and the battery health is down to 85%.
The battery is now drained after ~3 h instead of 10 h.

HP Recommended

@sayzer0

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing Battery issues with the HP Chromebook

When caring for your Chromebook’s battery, you need to check on its current condition. This will help you determine the steps you need to take to maintain the battery's health. Fortunately, you can do it directly within the Chrome OS (the Chromebook operating system):

• Enter Crosh (Chrome OS version of Command Prompt) by pressing Ctrl+Alt+t
  • Type in the phrase “battery health” and hit Enter
  • You should see a rundown of the battery’s health as a percentage. It will also tell you the battery’s current operating capacity

To look into this further, you can scroll down in the Crosh and look at the battery discharge test. This will tell you how much of your battery drains in five minutes, which gives you a good idea of how long your battery will last on a charge.

10 best ways to take care of your Chromebook battery

1. Don't let your Chromebook run hot

It’s crucial to make sure that your Chromebook battery doesn't overheat, which means you have to be conscious about how you use the laptop itself. For example, don’t run too many high-intensity processing tasks on your Chromebook at once, because this will overwork the CPU and, in turn, can cause the battery to overheat.

2. Avoid using faulty outlets

Just make sure your Chromebook power adapter is in good condition, that it fits correctly, and that it matches the outlet’s plug type. If it’s damaged, don't use it in a public outlet. And make sure to avoid third-party chargers altogether.

3. Use a surge protector

Consider using a power strip with a surge protector when plugging in your Chromebook, no matter where you are. This will help you avoid any power-shortage issues, and it will increase your charging efficiency, lengthening the battery’s life.

4. Properly ventilate your Chromebook

You can manually ventilate your device by connecting a USB cooling fan. This will help keep temperatures at a reasonable level and make sure that the Chromebook battery doesn't overheat. 

5. Try to keep battery life between 40% and 80% at all times

Just like its other components, Chromebook batteries need their rest. If you continually let your Chromebook run out of juice and then charge it up to 100%, you’ll shorten the battery’s life by making it go through a full cycle each time. Instead, keep the battery between 40% and 80%, which gives it enough charge on a regular basis without overstressing it.

6. Adjust brightness and Bluetooth settings

The more you cycle through charges of your Chromebook, the more you will degrade its battery. Minimize your battery usage by reducing or turning off features and settings you don’t actually need. One example is lowering the brightness setting on the display to better match your environment. Also, turn off Bluetooth whenever you’re not using it.

7. Use a smart plug to automatically adjust charging mechanisms

Smart plugs may superficially resemble power strips, but they have many capabilities, including helping your Chromebook's battery. Unlike a traditional power strip, you can actually program a smart plug. For example, if you don't want your Chromebook battery to charge beyond 80%, you can program your smart plug to stop charging it after a certain amount of time. This can help to maximize the battery’s potential without needlessly degrading it.

8. Regularly monitor your battery health

It is an inevitable fact of life that all batteries eventually degrade, and Chromebook batteries are no exception. However, you want to keep a continuous eye on its health in order to best plan for how you’ll care for it.

You know you can check on your Chromebook battery using Crosh, but it’s important to do so regularly. Knowing the battery’s power capacity can also help you to best strategize on how to get the most use of it without exposing it to more decay than necessary.

9. Use new Chromebook power-saving options

One of the best things about Chromebooks is how easy it is to use Chrome OS. No surprise, then, that Chromebook OS features power-saving options to help extend battery life. To access these features:

• Click into the 'power' tab in the Settings menu
  • In this menu, specify whether you want the Chromebook to go to sleep or stay awake both when you leave it idle and when you close the lid

These additional power-saving options allow users to control their Chromebook’s behavior when the device is in sleep mode or when the lid is closed. While you won't be able to directly specify a time limit on idling – the default is six minutes – you can specify whether you want your Chromebook to keep the display on, turn off the display and stay awake, or turn off the display and sleep.

To save the most power for your Chromebook battery, you should choose the turn off the display and sleep option.

10. Close your Chrome tabs when you're done using them

One of the biggest drains on the Chromebook battery is the use of Google Chrome itself. The web browser can use quite a bit of your computer’s resources for several reasons, including extensions you use and the number of open tabs. More open tabs use more resources, which requires more battery power to maintain, so suspending them helps to better preserve your Chromebook battery.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@sayzer0

When caring for your Chromebook’s battery, you need to check on its current condition. This will help you determine the steps you need to take to maintain the battery's health. Fortunately, you can do it directly within the Chrome OS (the Chromebook operating system):

• You should see a rundown of the battery’s health as a percentage. It will also tell you the battery’s current operating capacity

To look into this further, you can scroll down in the Crosh and look at the battery discharge test. This will tell you how much of your battery drains in five minutes, which gives you a good idea of how long your battery will last on a charge.

It’s crucial to make sure that your Chromebook battery doesn't overheat, which means you have to be conscious about how you use the laptop itself. For example, don’t run too many high-intensity processing tasks on your Chromebook at once, because this will overwork the CPU and, in turn, can cause the battery to overheat.

Just make sure your Chromebook power adapter is in good condition, that it fits correctly, and that it matches the outlet’s plug type. If it’s damaged, don't use it in a public outlet. And make sure to avoid third-party chargers altogether.

3. Use a surge protector

Consider using a power strip with a surge protector when plugging in your Chromebook, no matter where you are. This will help you avoid any power-shortage issues, and it will increase your charging efficiency, lengthening the battery’s life.

You can manually ventilate your device by connecting a USB cooling fan. This will help keep temperatures at a reasonable level and make sure that the Chromebook battery doesn't overheat. 

Just like its other components, Chromebook batteries need their rest. If you continually let your Chromebook run out of juice and then charge it up to 100%, you’ll shorten the battery’s life by making it go through a full cycle each time. Instead, keep the battery between 40% and 80%, which gives it enough charge on a regular basis without overstressing it.

The more you cycle through charges of your Chromebook, the more you will degrade its battery. Minimize your battery usage by reducing or turning off features and settings you don’t actually need. One example is lowering the brightness setting on the display to better match your environment. Also, turn off Bluetooth whenever you’re not using it.

Smart plugs may superficially resemble power strips, but they have many capabilities, including helping your Chromebook's battery. Unlike a traditional power strip, you can actually program a smart plug. For example, if you don't want your Chromebook battery to charge beyond 80%, you can program your smart plug to stop charging it after a certain amount of time. This can help to maximize the battery’s potential without needlessly degrading it.

It is an inevitable fact of life that all batteries eventually degrade, and Chromebook batteries are no exception. However, you want to keep a continuous eye on its health in order to best plan for how you’ll care for it.

You know you can check on your Chromebook battery using Crosh, but it’s important to do so regularly. Knowing the battery’s power capacity can also help you to best strategize on how to get the most use of it without exposing it to more decay than necessary.

One of the best things about Chromebooks is how easy it is to use Chrome OS. No surprise, then, that Chromebook OS features power-saving options to help extend battery life. To access these features:

• In this menu, specify whether you want the Chromebook to go to sleep or stay awake both when you leave it idle and when you close the lid

These additional power-saving options allow users to control their Chromebook’s behavior when the device is in sleep mode or when the lid is closed. While you won't be able to directly specify a time limit on idling – the default is six minutes – you can specify whether you want your Chromebook to keep the display on, turn off the display and stay awake, or turn off the display and sleep.

To save the most power for your Chromebook battery, you should choose the turn off the display and sleep option.

One of the biggest drains on the Chromebook battery is the use of Google Chrome itself. The web browser can use quite a bit of your computer’s resources for several reasons, including extensions you use and the number of open tabs. More open tabs use more resources, which requires more battery power to maintain, so suspending them helps to better preserve your Chromebook battery.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@sayzer0

3. Use a surge protector

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.