Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I purchased my Hp Spectre in July and have been having battery issues.    The battery will only last around 4-5 hours.   I do not do very intensive tasks other than web browsing, watching youtube videos and reading email.

I keep the brightness down and run at a Power Mode of "Better Battery".     I have checked windows 10 battery settings and which apps are using the battery the most and there does not appear to be an issue.    I also ran the powercfg /energy report and it states the following:

-----

Analysis Results

Errors

CPU Utilisation: Processor utilisation is high
The average processor utilisation during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilisation is very low. Review processor utilisation for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilisation.
Average Utilisation (%) 20.26
Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
---

I have tried to look up what this means but cannot find a solution.    

Perhaps somebody else has the same issue.    Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@chas0001 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the battery.

Below I've listed a series of steps that should help your cause: 

• Video about improving your notebook battery performance 

• How long does a notebook battery last? 

• Adjusting notebook battery power plans 

• Factors that contribute to loss of notebook battery capacity 

• Recommended notebook battery care practices 

• Original battery charges slowly, replacement battery charges normally 

• Special recommendations for embedded (not customer replaceable) notebook batteries 

• Tips for conserving notebook battery power 

For more details, Click here​​​​​​ 

ry the below: 

Steps to uninstall the ACPI drivers 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Batteries>then select the s drivers and right-click on it and uninstall all battery drivers. 

Then restart the computer and check again. 

Link for battery testing and calibration 

Also, update the BIOS and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I performed the following tasks.

1.   Deleted the ACPI drivers and restarted.       This appeared to do nothing regarding the battery.

2.   I updated the BIOS, I was already on the latest version but applied it again.    This did nothing as it was the same BIOS.

2.   I performed a battery calibration as per the instructions.     This appears to help slightly with the battery life, although I am still only getting around 5 ½ hours.

I do not run the laptop at full brightness so I don't think that is a problem and I have only had it since July 2020.

Are there any apps that I can run to determine what is draining the battery or what why it is not lasting as long as it should?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@chas0001

I understand your concerns.

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here 

For more clarification, you may conatct our phone support and check for the support option. 

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Well, I have been in contact with HP support but this has not solved anything whatsoever.   They are trying to convince me that 5-6 hours of battery life is normal!      Of course, I reject that as my usage is Browsing, email and some youtube videos.     Battery life watching videos for this device is listed as lasting up to 16 hours.

My last conversation with support was told to calibrate the battery (again).   This did absolutely nothing (again).   I am starting to wish that I never bought this computer!!!

Just in case somebody wants to tell me what to try, this is what I have done so far : 

1. Ensured All HP Software and Drivers are up to date.
  2. Kept the power plan when on the battery to “Better battery life”
  3. Reduced the brightness of the screen.  
  4. Checked no apps are running that drain the battery.
  5. Reinstalled the ACPI drivers in Device Manager.
  6. Updated the EFI BIOS to the latest version.
  7. Run Performace Tune-up in HP Support Assistant
  8. Run Check your battery in HP Support Assistant (all Ok result)
  9. Calibrated the battery twice using Diagnostics tool Memory check to drain the battery then recharge it.    
  10. Turned off Bluetooth
  11. Closed unwanted background programs.
  12. Performed a “Reset this PC” in Windows 10.  Still the same battery problem.
  13. Created an HP Cloud Recovery USB Stick and totally reinstalled Windows 10, wiping everything but making sure not to install any programs.    Still, the same battery issue exists.
  14. I always ensure that the brightness is at its lower setting.   It is never on full brightness.
  15. Updated windows to the latest version

I cannot believe that I am the only person with this problem.

HP Recommended

Is there anybody else with this model number experiencing the same battery issues?    If not, what is your average battery life for email and web browsing?

I am still waiting for HP support to get back to me.   I have supplied all the information they require and they sent it to their technicians.    

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.