Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 - 13-4193dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since upgrading my Windows 10 system with the Anniversary update at the end of August, my battery life has decreased dramatically. I used to be able to get 8 hours or more of use on a single charge. Now, in a matter of 2 hours, I drop from 100% to 72% and it starts going down even faster. I'm now only getting 3-4 hours max out of a single charge. I have the lowest possible illumination set; use a non bright background theme; verify there are no other hidden apps running in the background; and have followed the other recommenations on extending battery power. I have also noticed that the "HP Solutions Framework Service" tends to use an extensive amount of CPU (frequently higher than 60%) since the upgrade. Manually killing the process to let it reset restores it to normal levels. I've used HP Support Assistant to check for any possible updates needed. After a system scan, there are no updates or other actions displayed. Is this an issue from the Windows 10 Anniversary update? Any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey all,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

I understand your HP Spectre x360 is having an issue on battery. You will need to return the Power plan option to balanced options if it is on High performance this will drain the battery. Try to reset the power options:

Here is a link to put the Notebook in Safe Mode.  Choose command prompt.

a) Press Windows key + X, type Command prompt.
b) Type: cmd powercfg.exe –restoredefaultschemes in the box.
c) Then press ENTER.

Please let me know if this information helps you.

Clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks, or Accept as the solution.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I'm on the same boat with you. Plus the laptop is starting to get a lot hotter and the fans are now audible. The previous update was very smooth apart from some touchscreen failures, but it was way faster and had a longer battery. 

HP is complete garbage.

HP Recommended

I've had my Spectre for 11 months and love it. It's the fastest, most responsive system I've had the pleasure of owning. This is the first issue I've experienced. Since my last post, I've continued to monitor the processes on startup. I'm convinced the issue is with the HP Support Solutions Framework Service. Since I manually killed the process, I no longer have the heat or CPU issues. It was utilizing >60% CPU (mostly in the 80% range). So, I'm not sure if it just needed a manual reset but since posting, I've checked each time on start up and it's no longer running and the heat/fan issue isn't present. Is it possible the Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade triggered this?

However, the battery life issue remains. I've only had the computer running now for 20 minutes and it has already dropped from 100% to 93% which equates to a battery life expectation of ~4 hours. I've not seen a response from HP yet......

HP Recommended

Hey all,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

I understand your HP Spectre x360 is having an issue on battery. You will need to return the Power plan option to balanced options if it is on High performance this will drain the battery. Try to reset the power options:

c) Then press ENTER.

Please let me know if this information helps you.

Clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks, or Accept as the solution.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but before changing the power plan configuration, how would we check to verify current settings to see if it shows high performance? I've not modified the power plan. Again, the ONLY change was the Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade. With that said, I've continued checking on my own. While logged on, I followed my battery usage. When down to 86%, I rebooted, hit the <F2> key to get the diagnostics menu, selected Component test, selected Battery test and ran the test. The results showed no issues and stated it was at 95%. Based on this, it would appear there may be a calibration issue caused, or triggered, by the Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade. My next plan, unless someone has a better solution, will be to run the calibration and monitor/test again.

HP Recommended

That did it. I followed the advice below in mid October. The battery life is back to 8 hours now. Thanks.

c) Then press ENTER.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.