08-24-2019 11:32 PM
I recently installed the WIndows 10 update and since then my battery has been draining quickly and erratically. It will drain from 100% to ~40% in 13 minutes even in battery saver mode. Under 40% and it will randomly shut the computer down. Frequently it will jump from a lower percentage, like 50% to 61% if I close one tab in the browser. I used HP Hardware Diagnostics to run the battery test and every time it just cancels mid test. I then tested it with HP support assistant and it said the battery was weak.
I figure it has something to do with drivers after the update and not the actual battery itsefl, but I thought I would ask here first.
08-27-2019 05:51 PM
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.
I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:
Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.
- Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
- Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
- On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
- Press F10 to Save and Exit.
- Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
- Follow the prompts to restart your computer.
Once it's done, Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.
Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.
- To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon .
- Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
- Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
- Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
- Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
- Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
I am an HP Employee