Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17t-3200 CTO Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Battery has gotten hot, designed under the toucjh pad. Touch pad has raised about 3/8 of an inch from the body, and bent the frame. Designed and engineered improperly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its very possible to replace the battery you just need to open the case. A technician can do it or you can do it yourself. Sounds like it may already be badly damaged however so its apparent you are not going to be a DIY person and should wait to see if an HP employee intervenes here as I have done all I can. Good luck. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

HP Envy Quality design problem

DSCF0022.JPGDSCF0023.JPG

HP Recommended

The battery has swollen. This happens every now and then. The battery MUST be removed and replaced. Was there or was there not a fire? I gather not. Post back if you want more info re next steps. 

HP Recommended

There was smoke from the touch pad due the the non removable battery below it. Good thing I was setting at my desk and I immediately unplugged it and took it outside.The laptop will no longer charge. The battery cannot be taken out due to the design. It is not possible to replace the battery, also it got sooooo hot it tweaked the body/frame of the laptop. an the frame has raised also.

HP Recommended

Its very possible to replace the battery you just need to open the case. A technician can do it or you can do it yourself. Sounds like it may already be badly damaged however so its apparent you are not going to be a DIY person and should wait to see if an HP employee intervenes here as I have done all I can. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

I was told by HP the battery is  not replaceable and that is the way is was designed with the battery in front under the touch pad.. Also what is the remedy for the bent frame? The frame raised also just above the touch pad. Sad situation for a $1200 laptop.

HP Recommended

$1200 in 2012 or 2013. The battery is removeable. See pages 39-41 of the Service Manual here:

Manual 

The frame may or may not be bent. It may be alright once the swollen battery is removed. Again, wait and see if HP intervenes here. They may not given the age of the laptop. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. I am going to give it a try. Do you think the toucjhpad will go back down and stay in place with the battery removed?

HP Recommended

If chassis plastic has not actually been cracked it should. Hard to say until you get the battery out. If the case of the battery has been ruptured be very careful with it as it can be a sparking hazard. Wear gloves and try to use plastic not metal tools. 

16) Battery (9-cell, 91-Wh, 4.1-Ah, Li-ion) 657503-001

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-HSTNN-IB3F-657240-151-657240-171-996TA008H/dp/B078B9BJZZ/ref=sr_1...

HP Recommended

Crazy question. When I remove the battery, can I put it back together without a battery until I get a new one and use the computer???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.