Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay503tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I had recently updated my windows 10 and after the update, I noticed that my laptop doesn't charge beyond 94%. It does say that its charging but it BatteryError.pngnever crosses the 94% threshold. Please find attached a screenshot of the same.

I also noticed that the laptop shuts down automatically at around 30% battery. While charging the laptop, the laptop keeps on toggling between the status "plugged in" and "power mode(on battery)" every 2-3 seconds. Once the battery has charged more than 60%, it stops toggling.

I have tried to run the troubleshooter but no issues were detected. I have also tried to diagnose the battery using  HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows app but no issues were detected and all tests passed. I also tried to calibrate the battery but no resolution was found. 

Please help me with the resolution on this issue.

Thanks

Lavi

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Lavi09

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the battery.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105965.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I updated BIOS from the link you gave but it didn't resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

Please provide a screenshot of the advanced results of the battery test from HP Support Assistant. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please find advanced results of battery test.

battery results.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

battery results.jpg

HP Recommended

You have 386 cycles out of an expected life of 300 so you got about 30% more cycles out of it then it was designed for. A full charge only stores 61% of original capacity. This is a perfect example why the simple pass/fail is interesting but proves nothing. This battery simply needs replacement it has done its job and is ready to retire. 

HP Recommended

Okay. So, every isue which I am facing right now like, laptop shuts down at 40% and battery charges from 30 to 60 in a minute and toggling between plugged in and not charging, will be resolved after battery replacement? 

HP Recommended

A bad battery can and does cause all those symptoms. I can guaranty nothing but if you intend to use the laptop you need a new battery. I am saying the odds a new battery will solve all the problems is upwards of 90%

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.