iamphil
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Battery not charging

HP Recommended
Example: PavilioProbook 6460Bn 6530
Linux

Using a probook 6460b that came with Windows 7 installed. Was running fine, but Microsoft stopped support for that version of windows. Not wanting to buy a newer version of their OS due to all the security problems windows has  I opted to install Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. I wiped the drive clean and ran the install. All works fine, but.....

The battery is not charging. Thinking it was a dead battery I bought a new one. Same issue. When I wiped the drive or installed Mint, did I remove something that tells the charger when to send power to the battery? From what I understand the charger is located in the power supply. The laptop still runs fine when the power supply is connected. It just doesn't charge the battery. (Only shows 4% charge on the battery)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,395 30,302 2,769 6,698
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@iamphil 

I'm sorry, but HP does not provide support for Linux distros.

IF you replace the preloaded Windows OS with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,949 42,189 4,642 12,403
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually the charging circuit is on the system board.

Check to see if the BIOS is updated to the latest version.

Since the notebook runs when the adapter is plugged in, the pins on the dc power port are likely to be ok.

That would leave the system board itself as a probable fail candidate.

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation