Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7t-3000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Guys

I have a rather strange issue with my HP Laptop. I bought a extended battery from Batteries plus Bulbs, who have a rather good repuation. The battery is working very good. However, sometimes, when I am charging the laptop, the CPU fan goes to very loud (probably 90-100%). Even if I am idling at the desktop. I've replaced the thermal paste, and HWMonitor shows a cool 45C. 

https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/hewlett-packard/ga08/com12480

If I either unplug the adaper, or remove the battery, it quiets down. Could this be the battery? Or is there an issue with the charging circuitry? Is this normal behavior?  

Kind Regards,

Josh

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings @it0uchpods,

Thanks for the post.

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer where you have replaced the battery and the fan on your computer is running very loud.

Not to worry, I will be glad to help.

Have you run a battery test on your computer?

Are you using a genuine HP battery?

Request you run HP Support Assistant on your computer to make sure all the drivers are updated. Especially BIOS and chipset.

Once all the driver are updated, run a battery test on your computer. Click here.

For other troubleshooting steps related to Fan please refer to the below articles.

HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Keep me posted.

**Click on the KUDOS Star on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**
**Please Mark a Reply "Accept As Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**
I Work On Behalf Of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I know quite a bit about computers so I've elliminated the obvious etc.

I've replaced the thermal paste, and HWMonitor shows fine temperatures.

"Have you run a battery test on your computer?"

How do I do this? Does HP have a test?

"Are you using a genuine HP ink?"

Umm........ what?

All drivers are installed and update, and the BIOS is latest. This only happens SOMETIMES, when the laptop's AC adpater is plugged in, the battery is connected, and is chargin between 35% and 70%. Any other times, it never happens.

Pulling the battery or AC cord cause the fan to get quiter immidiately, but plugging them back in causes it to ramp up again to 100%.  The only solution which sometimes fixes it is to leave it unplugged for a whie, then plug it in, and leave it.

Kind Regards,

Josh

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, you can perform as battery from HP Support Assistant. Looks like I mistyped, I meant to ask, did you replace the battery on your computer with a genuine HP battery. Please do refer to the articles provided check if it makes any different.

Keep me posted.

**Click on the KUDOS Star on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**
**Please Mark a Reply "Accept As Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**
I Work On Behalf Of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, I will do the test now.

No, HP doesn't make this battery anymore. It's a GA08. I got one from Batteries Plus Bulbs. Link is in first post. It has a 24month warrenty, so if it is bad, I will return it.

Kind Regards,

Josh

HP Recommended

Hi guys.

Ran the test with Power Adapter Connected.

http://prntscr.com/f495c3

Looks good here.

Kind Regards,
Josh

HP Recommended

I think the issue may have been a shotty outlet I was using, as the issue has stopped occuring ever since I no longer charge my laptop at that certain outlet. All other outlets I use have no affect on this, however, whenever I use that one outlet, the fan always ramps up, and won't stop until I turn the laptop off for a few minuetes, or do a power cycle. 

Perhaps that outlet (it's a rather old one) it upsetting the charging ciruictry, causing it to heat up? Does that sound like it makes sense?

I'll get an electrician to check the outlet out. Maybe it's time for a replacement. 🙂

I did notice that when this happens, even if I then switch to a different outlet, that behavior won't stop until I completely power cycle the laptop, or leave if off for seveal minuetes at a time.

It is currently charging at 47%, and I'll update you as to if the fan ramps up again. The whole time, the machine is just sitting at the desktop, with Google Chrome, or Microsoft Word open. The taskmgr also looks clean, and so is the system tray.

As of now, I think the outlet was at fault! (Who would think that :D)

Kind Regards,
Josh

PS: It also seemed to charge REALLY slowly on that outlet...

It is still happening. It seems a little quieter than usual, but it still ramped up quite a bit. Am I missing something here?

HP Employees: Do you know if there is a design in this laptop which causes the fan to ramp up to cool the charging circuitry? I can't think of any other reason this might happen.

It is not stupidly loud unless I use that one outlet, so I don't really care that much honestly, and the battery works great. So...

HP Recommended

Plug an ordinary lamp into a "normal" power-socket, and see how bright it is.

Plug the same lamp into that "suspect" power-socket, and see if the lamp is brighter (or it "blows-up").

> Pulling the battery or AC cord cause the fan to immediately get quieter,

If you remove the AC power, and thus switch to using the battery, then the "Power Settings" on your computer may reduce the screen brightness, and may slow-down the CPU, to produce less heat, and the fan reacts by spinning more slowly, and thus makes less noise.  But, if you remove only the battery, then the "Power Settings" will not activate.

HP Recommended

> Plug an ordinary lamp into a "normal" power-socket, and see how bright it is.

> Plug the same lamp into that "suspect" power-socket, and see if the lamp is brighter (or it "blows-up").

Acts normally.

> If you remove the AC power, and thus switch to using the battery, then the "Power Settings" on your computer may reduce the screen brightness, and may slow-down the CPU, to produce less heat, and the fan reacts by spinning more slowly, and thus makes less noise.  But, if you remove only the battery, then the "Power Settings" will not activate.

It happens if I remove only the battery as well. 

I debunked that theory anyways, as it happend today in a perfectly good outlet.

Kind Regards,
Josh

HP Recommended

Hi everyone. An update after many monthes, the issue is still occuring, but I've found more details. The fan speeds up after a certain amount of time, charging. Today, charging the machine from 45% to 100% the fan acted normally, but yesterday, from 20% to 100% caused it to ramp up at around 65%. I will contact BatteriesPlusBulbs and see if they have any information regarding this. I am also suspecting the power adapter, which could be faulty. How can I test that?

I have a relative who has a an extremely similar HP DV7 laptop which takes the same battery, and they will visit soon. I will swap batteries and afterwards, power adapters, and see if his laptop (which lacks this issue) starts acting up.

Kind Regards,
Josh

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.