Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab120nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP!

My battery is not working anymore. My laptop does  see it, but says: 'plugged in, not charging'.

I chatted with 'Kaushik - HP Social Media Support', and after some tests he told me '..reach out to HP Phone Support for further support needs as the issue appears to be a hardware issue'. However, I live in the Netherlands, and this support is not available here for reasonable prices.

I also contacted the support from my university, and also they told me that it seemed to be a hardware problem. 

My laptop is only 1.5 years old. And I think the battery should last longer than just that short amount of time. 

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Rebekka

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @Rebekka123, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are getting plugged in not charging error on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

As you mentioned you are getting error plugged in charging on your PC.

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.

Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:
Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Also, Try performing a hard reset on your laptop and check if it helps.

Please Shutdown the Notebook
Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon.

If the issue persists try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update BIOS.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot battery issues with your laptop.

If the issue still persists try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the hardware diagnostics test fails, Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi! Thank you for your answer. However it doesn't help me. 

I already tried all these tests with you social media support, and he told me to go to HP support for further support options. Just as you did:

MrRobot wrote: 

If the hardware diagnostics test fails, Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

But the only option I have for support is this forum. So please don't tell me to go to HP support, if I'm already there..

I think my battery is broken, so the hardware, and software cannot fix this. This is too fast for a battery to break for a normal laptop with everyday use. I would like a new one. 

HP Recommended

@Rebekka123, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Since the battery is a consumable part, the life of the battery decreases over the years of use. So the battery can fail anytime on your PC.

And since it is a hardware issue with your laptop. There is nothing much we can do to help you out.

The only option for you is contact HP support and get the service options.

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please tell me how to contact contact HP support without paying about 40 euro to do so!

HP Recommended

You can contact HP phone support and tell them that you have done all the necessary troubleshooting steps.

And found it is a system board issue with your PC. And you would like to send the PC in for service.

They should be able to set up a service without charging for the phone support however, you would have to bear the repair charges.

Or you can take it to an HP authorized service center and get your PC repaired.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"They should be able to set up a service without charging for the phone support however, you would have to bear the repair charges."

How can I set up this service without charging?

"Or you can take it to an HP authorized service center and get your PC repaired."

Where can I find such an service center?

HP Recommended

There is no way you can get your PC fixed without paying for the repair charges, as the unit is out of warranty.

1. I was just referring since your PC is out of warranty the phone support will ask you to pay for software support to troubleshoot.

So to avoid paying for phone support you can tell them you have completed the troubleshooting steps with us and bare the charges for hardware service of your laptop.

2. You can take your PC to best buy or wall mart and get your PC fixed.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.