Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-by1053dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My old laptop let me pop out the drained battery and put in a charged one very easily, but my new 17-by1053dx doesn't. I asked the Best Buy employee what I do when the battery is dead and needs replacing, and she said it has to be shipped to a service center where they will install a new one. I'd rather replace the battery myself, but I hunted online and can't find one to purchase, plus I don't know how to take the thing apart and get inside it. Does anyone know where or if I can get a battery, as well as instructions on how to replace it?

As long as I'm here, when the laptop starts up or wakes up, it asks me to enter a code before I can get to the desktop. I would prefer it didn't do that, but when I looked in the Security section of the Control Panel, I couldn't find a way to eliminate that code-entry step. Is there a way to do that?

Many thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@drastik 

You are welcome.  🐲

If it answers your question, I will ask it marked as the solution.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@drastik 

Battery question

Product introduction Mid 2019

If the battery has failed so soon, it is under warranty and can be replaced by HP. 

Yes, in most cases, if you are having HP repair the computer, you need to send in the computer to one of HP's repair depots.  Of course, what HP does is up to HP:  We provide our opinions and HP speaks for HP.

Part numbers and replacement procedures for your computer are explained in Category User Guides > in the Maintenance and Service manual:

Maintenance and Service Guide

Since you are unfamiliar with the process, I suggest you read Chapter 4 

Removal and replacement procedures preliminary requirements - starting on Page 26

Chapter 6 - Removal and replacement procedures for ... - starting on Page 35

Section "Battery" on Page 38

More

The HP Video Gallery provides a wealth of helpful information - there is likely a video that is close enough to what you need that it can help you with your procedure.

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

HP Gallery > Computing and Mobile Devices

Search for "replace battery"

Power On Password

Honestly, I cannot with confidence answer the second question - I avoid using power-on passwords.

The answer is available - yet perhaps obscured by details and "tech speak".

About UEFI and the Startup Menu

Were I you, if the document does not suffice to help, I would break out the second part of your question into a separate thread and let one of our other Experts answer.  Smiling.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Notebook - 17-by1053dx

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

That's great info- many thanks.

HP Recommended

@drastik 

You are welcome.  🐲

If it answers your question, I will ask it marked as the solution.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

One more question, if you don't mind- where do I get a new battery? I checked HP's site, and searched online, and can't find one. Thanks---

HP Recommended

@drastik 

Some of our Community Experts offer direct recommendations on where you should shop - I try to avoid making these decisions for people.

In general, you should always (and only) purchase from a merchant that you trust.  

Using part number found in the Maintenance Guide  Page 38:   L11119-855

Examples of USA based opportunities to purchase the part:

Newegg.com

Amazon.com

and, 

Notebookparts.com

Example only:

http://www.notebookparts.com/new-genuine-hp-11-55v-41-9wh-battery-l11421-422-l11119-855/

Many people shop at eBay for parts - personal decision, of course.  eBay has a pretty good track record.  I did not check eBay for your part.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.