Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
PHP Pavilion - 15-au109ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I bough my laptop two weeks ago.

I noticed that it reaches 99% and it will keep charging even if I leave it for couple of hours. It will not reach 100% or stop chraging.

Is this normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Afaf_a,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding battery charging issues as it gets stuck at 99%. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. )

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Has it worked before when you first got it? Did it charge to 100%?
  • Did it happen after a software or Windows update?

For now please try these steps:

Please uninstall the ACPI battery drivers from device manager by following these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Batteries>then select all the drivers including the ACPI drivers and uninstall it one at a time. Then restart the computer and check again.
  • If it does not get resolved, then calibrate the battery and restore the power plan to defaults. Link to calibrate the battery and restore power plan to defaults: http://hp.care/2syuGOs

Then update the bios and chipset drivers from this link http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.

Then check if the issue is resolved.

If it does not, then continue troubleshooting by following these steps:

• Also go to power options>change plan settings under balanced option> advanced power settings> Low battery level> on battery> change it to 20%

• Do the same for plugged in also.
  • Critical Battery level > change it to 10%
  • Plugged in > also to 10%
  • Low battery notification>  change it to on
  • Plugged in also change it to on.
  • Low battery action > Change it to Do nothing
  • Plugged in > change it to do nothing
  • Reserve battery level> change it to 10%
  • Plugged in> change it to 10%
  • Then check if it gets resolved and shows the battery notification when the battery levels deplete.
  • For further assistance, please follow all the relevant steps that match your current issue from this link: http://hp.care/2syheXK
  • Also, make a note of any failure code for a failed component like the battery or adapter (charger)
  • Please re-calibrate the battery as well from this link: http://hp.care/2symZV5
  • Some tips to enhance battery life:

• Please always charge the battery to 100% and use it on battery standby.
  • Then when the charger is plugged in, there is no issue here. However, when you continue to sue the computer on battery standby, make sure to drain down the battery to lower than 15% before recharging the battery again.
  • One in a while, for example, once in 15 days, save up all your work when the battery shows a notification that it is low on charge and allow it to drain down completely before charging again, which enhances the battery’s life and performance.
  • This across devices like camera, cell phone or notebook.
  • This is because, with each charge and discharge, the battery completes 1 charging cycle and the life cycle of the battery diminishes.
  • The battery has a life cycle of a standard amount of charges and discharges only. (depends on the size of the battery)
  • It is never a good idea to charge the battery to 100% and deplete 30% of its charge and connect the charger to it again.
  • Because you lose out on 70% of its remaining charge and complete only battery charging cycle if you plug the charger back to charge the battery.
  • As it goes from 70% to 100% charge and completes 1 charging cycle.

Please check this link out to improve battery performance. There is an associated video included as well. Link HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7):http://hp.care/2syuGOs

Also, this link: http://hp.care/2iykJdH should help if the temperature of the battery raises,

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Afaf_a,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding battery charging issues as it gets stuck at 99%. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. )

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Has it worked before when you first got it? Did it charge to 100%?
  • Did it happen after a software or Windows update?

For now please try these steps:

Please uninstall the ACPI battery drivers from device manager by following these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Batteries>then select all the drivers including the ACPI drivers and uninstall it one at a time. Then restart the computer and check again.
  • If it does not get resolved, then calibrate the battery and restore the power plan to defaults. Link to calibrate the battery and restore power plan to defaults: http://hp.care/2syuGOs

Then update the bios and chipset drivers from this link http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.

Then check if the issue is resolved.

If it does not, then continue troubleshooting by following these steps:

• Also go to power options>change plan settings under balanced option> advanced power settings> Low battery level> on battery> change it to 20%

• Do the same for plugged in also.
  • Critical Battery level > change it to 10%
  • Plugged in > also to 10%
  • Low battery notification>  change it to on
  • Plugged in also change it to on.
  • Low battery action > Change it to Do nothing
  • Plugged in > change it to do nothing
  • Reserve battery level> change it to 10%
  • Plugged in> change it to 10%
  • Then check if it gets resolved and shows the battery notification when the battery levels deplete.
  • For further assistance, please follow all the relevant steps that match your current issue from this link: http://hp.care/2syheXK
  • Also, make a note of any failure code for a failed component like the battery or adapter (charger)
  • Please re-calibrate the battery as well from this link: http://hp.care/2symZV5
  • Some tips to enhance battery life:

• Please always charge the battery to 100% and use it on battery standby.
  • Then when the charger is plugged in, there is no issue here. However, when you continue to sue the computer on battery standby, make sure to drain down the battery to lower than 15% before recharging the battery again.
  • One in a while, for example, once in 15 days, save up all your work when the battery shows a notification that it is low on charge and allow it to drain down completely before charging again, which enhances the battery’s life and performance.
  • This across devices like camera, cell phone or notebook.
  • This is because, with each charge and discharge, the battery completes 1 charging cycle and the life cycle of the battery diminishes.
  • The battery has a life cycle of a standard amount of charges and discharges only. (depends on the size of the battery)
  • It is never a good idea to charge the battery to 100% and deplete 30% of its charge and connect the charger to it again.
  • Because you lose out on 70% of its remaining charge and complete only battery charging cycle if you plug the charger back to charge the battery.
  • As it goes from 70% to 100% charge and completes 1 charging cycle.

Please check this link out to improve battery performance. There is an associated video included as well. Link HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7):http://hp.care/2syuGOs

Also, this link: http://hp.care/2iykJdH should help if the temperature of the battery raises,

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi David

I reaaly appreciate your response.

Regarding your question, it never charged to 100% since I bought it.
Before I see your solution, I made a test for the battery using Hp support assitance and it says it need to be calibrated and after the calibrating, I repeated the test. It says the battery now is ok. But it didn't reach 100%. I will go and apply your suggested process and I will update you with result.

Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi! @Afaf_a, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you still have issues charging the battery and you have not tried the steps yet on your PC.

Please try the steps recommended and get back to us if you have any concerns. 

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi
Thanks for help.
HP Recommended

Hi @Afaf_a,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you.  I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution.  You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same problem on an HP Pavilion DV6 laptop running Windows 7.  I replaced the battery yesterday and left it plugged in for over 24 hours. The battery indicator says 99% available (plugged in, charging) but never gets to 100% or indicates that it is fully charged.

I haven't yet had a chance to see exactly how long the battery lasts. When I first unplugged it at 3:24, I think it said 2hr 38 min (99%) remaining). A little over an hour later, at 4:27, most of the time idle, it's 1 hr 24 min (57%) remaining. I had checked a few times in between, and the time remaining readings keep going up and down. Do these readings sound about right?

I had previously followed some instructions I found in another post to for a "clean restart" but it didn't make any difference. I then followed your instructions to uninstall the drivers and restart, but no difference. After that, I tried to follow the recalibration instructions but am confused as to where to start.

Appreciate any additional advice. 

HP Recommended

@ros2004 wrote:

Hi, I am having the same problem on an HP Pavilion DV6 laptop running Windows 7.  I replaced the battery yesterday and left it plugged in for over 24 hours. The battery indicator says 99% available (plugged in, charging) but never gets to 100% or indicates that it is fully charged.

Well, it seems to have resolved itself. I ran an update of the battery drivers. Although they all said that the correct driver was already installed, the battery finally charged to 100% and indicated fully charged. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.