Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-an006AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

The battery of my notebook has recently become tempremental. It has began showing the "plugged in, not charging" status when it should indeed be plugged in and charging. This occurs in conjunction with a slow blink of the charge light from the regular orange (charging light) to white (charged light). However, it does not seem to happen all of the time. Sometimes it charges fine and moments later it doesn't. Additionally, the battery never seems to reach 100%, always stopping at 99% with 2-4 minutes remaining until fully charged. 

I have checked the battery and adaptor tests with the "HP Support Assistant" tool as well as the "System Diagnostics" tool. Initially, the "System Diagnostic" showed failure ID: MC64HS-84C9GV-MFGK7G-C09G03. It also suggested that the battery had a blown fuse. However, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to find that error again. All programs suggest that my battery and adaptor are OK. Yet, I continue to randomly see "plugged in, not charging" status. 

I have tried the battery and driver removal technique, updated BIOS, updated everything through "HP Support Assistant", switched between multiple wall outlets, checked the adaptor for any physically damage on the pin and cable. I even let the battery drain itself. However, my notebook continues to switch from charging to not charging. This occurs when the notebook is both on and off. Although, it seems more frequent when the PC is powered on. 

NOTE: This started occuring after about a week of disuse and around the same time that Windows (KB4023057) was installed on my PC. 

Does anyone know what my problem might be and if it is fixable? Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sikaflex, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Have you tried checking with a different battery?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

As the battery test has failed on your PC. It certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the laptop.

Before replacing the battery on your laptop try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.

Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with the battery please replace the battery with the below-listed part number.

4-cell, 41-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery (for use in all models) 807957-001

You can purchase the part from HP parts store using this link. Click Here

If the unit is still under warranty, Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, @MrRobot 

Unfortunately, I do not own another battery for which I could test. I have previously tried the steps that you described, but they did not fix the issue.

After a bit of searching around, I managed to get my PC to charge normally for a few days. Then just today it again stopped charging. Because of this, I did manage to find the error in the "System Diagnostic" tool again. 

So, did my battery blow a fuse? Is this a minor fault?

Sadly, my regular warranty is out. However, Australian law suggests that a statutory warranty may apply. 

Thanks

InkedIMG_20190214_231026_LI.jpgIMG_20190214_230933.jpgIMG_20190214_231002.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.