Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j017cl Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to replace the battery in my HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j017cl Notebook PC. The battery is internal. It's not a matter of just pulling the battery off the back of the machine and replacing it. I need to take the machine apart. HP "support" has so far been useless. I simply need to know how to take the machine apart and replace the battery, AND where to purchase the battery. All the youtube videos I come across show an exterior battery, which my laptop does not have. All the batteries I've found that supposedly "fit" my laptop are all external. HP apparently, unlike Dell, does not have online manual support. Can anyone help? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes in the fine print m7-u109dx is the model. 

Battery type
3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion

Manual

Pages 24-26

You can use either of these batteries:

3-cell, 61-WHr, 5.36-WHr, Li-ion 849315-856 3-cell, 41-WHr, 3.63-WHr, Li-ion 849314-856

Compatible 3rd party battery from amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/SG03XL-849315-850-849049-421-849314-856-HSTNN-LB7F/dp/B07J2Z52PP/ref=sr_1_1_s...

Genuine from eBay US seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SG03XL-Battery-For-HP-Envy-17t-U000-Touch-849315-856-LB7F-I126-Y7C7...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

HP definitely has online Manual support. I access the support libraries of all the major laptop makers pretty regularly and HPs is every bit as good as Dell or Lenovo but I am used to all of them and I can see how the differences might be a problem for one-time users. Here's the manual on the Model you mention:

Service Manual

I hate to be difficult but I can read this manual and I actually owned a 17-j029nr laptop a few years back, same model series and I can state from personal experience the battery is "external" i.e removeable without opening the case. Either you have a one-off mutant machine or you have misunderstood the model number of your laptop. Do you have HP Support Assistant installed? If so it will tell you the Product Number which we can translate into a model number and I assure you we can find instructions to replace the battery and a replacement battery for you to buy. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link to the service manual. 

The product is:  E9G80UA

There aren't any battery latches on the back of the laptop, as shown in the manual. I don't have the laptop with me currently, but when I do I will post a photograph. 

Thanks so much for your assistance. 

HP Recommended

That product number corresponds to the model number you listed. Give us a photograph of the back. The other telltale characteristic of that model series is the keystone or T shaped access panel that covers about 60% of the bottom of the laptop. 

HP Recommended

Laptop-back.jpg

If I'm not seeing something here, please point it out to me. I don't see anything that resembles a battery. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

HP Recommended

That is most definitely not a 17-j000 series laptop. I am not even sure it is a 17 inch model at all. Can you zoom in on the text just below the middle of the rubber strip at the top of the picture? It has an internal battery and I want to get you specific servicing instructions and a link to the correct battery to buy. This just illustrates that the support you get back is only as good as the information you give. 

HP Recommended

It's an HP ENVY Notebook m7-u109dx W2K88UA. 

Apparently a battery is not available on the HP Parts site. 

Can you give me a link to the manual and some suggestions on where I might purchase a battery? 

Thank you. 

1206181943.jpg

HP Recommended

Yes in the fine print m7-u109dx is the model. 

Battery type
3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion

Manual

Pages 24-26

You can use either of these batteries:

3-cell, 61-WHr, 5.36-WHr, Li-ion 849315-856 3-cell, 41-WHr, 3.63-WHr, Li-ion 849314-856

Compatible 3rd party battery from amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/SG03XL-849315-850-849049-421-849314-856-HSTNN-LB7F/dp/B07J2Z52PP/ref=sr_1_1_s...

Genuine from eBay US seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SG03XL-Battery-For-HP-Envy-17t-U000-Touch-849315-856-LB7F-I126-Y7C7...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. You have been a great help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.