Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 Desktop Processors

My Laptop battery stuck at 98% today. How do I fix it, Need Help

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @GS102,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP laptop battery is stuck at 98% and doesn't seem to charge any further, there could be several reasons for this issue. Here are some common troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem.

Calibrate the battery: Sometimes, the battery percentage displayed by the operating system can become inaccurate. To recalibrate the battery, follow these steps.

• Fully charge your laptop while it is powered off (until the battery LED indicates it's fully charged).
  • Power on the laptop and enter the BIOS/UEFI setup (usually done by pressing a specific key during the boot process, such as F10 or ESC on HP laptops).
  • Look for an option related to battery calibration or battery learning, and follow the on-screen instructions to perform the calibration.
  • Once the calibration is complete, restart your laptop and check if the battery percentage now displays correctly.

Reset power management settings.

• Go to "Control Panel" > "Hardware and Sound" > "Power Options."
  • Click on "Change plan settings" next to your selected power plan.
  • Click on "Change advanced power settings."
  • Look for "Battery" in the list of settings and expand it.
  • Find "Critical battery level" and "Low battery level." Ensure both values are set to an appropriate level (e.g., 5% and 10%, respectively).
  • Click "Apply" and "OK" to save the changes.

Update BIOS/UEFI: An outdated BIOS/UEFI firmware can sometimes cause battery-related issues. Visit the HP support website, enter your laptop model number, and check for any available BIOS updates. If an update is available, follow the instructions to install it.

Check for driver updates: Ensure that all your laptop's drivers are up to date, including the battery driver. You can go to the Device Manager, find the "Batteries" section, and update the drivers from there.

Run battery diagnostics: HP laptops often come with built-in diagnostic tools. You can use these tools to check the battery's health and identify any potential issues.

Perform a battery health check: HP laptops may have a built-in battery health check option. Use this feature to determine if there are any battery-related problems.

Use HP Support Assistant: HP laptops often come with a pre-installed support application called "HP Support Assistant." Run this software to perform system checks and identify any hardware-related issues, including battery problems.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.