Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have an HP Pavilion 15 that started to not charge the battery. It runs off of battery power fine, but the battery does not charge anymore. I have to run my computer off of the AC charger because I need what's left in the battery to start the computer. I had already tried going through system diagnostics. It says the AC charger is not detected. I tested it and it's putting out the proper amount of power though.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's either the charging jack or the motherboard I am sorry to say. The jack is not expensive but still a difficult repair. The motherboard is expensive and difficult. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Can we have the full model number? So it runs off the battery although it is losing charge and it also can run off the AC adapter? How old is the laptop and how old is the battery?

HP Recommended

I'm pretty disappointed because I only got the laptop a little over a year ago. The battery came with the laptop. I originally thought that the battery was shot so I bought a new one and that one doesn't work either. It's an HP Pavilion 15-p114dx.

HP Recommended

And yes, it runs off of the battery still, and the AC charger, but the charger does not charge the battery. The charger is in proper working order though, as it was tested. When the AC charger is plugged in and battery removed, it registers that it's plugged in but not that a charger is connected.

HP Recommended

It's either the charging jack or the motherboard I am sorry to say. The jack is not expensive but still a difficult repair. The motherboard is expensive and difficult. 

HP Recommended

My battery miraculously started charging today, but I will look into getting the jack replaced. I had a friend look at the laptop over the weekend too and he said probably the jack or the motherboard. Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

If it is the motherboard though, do you reccomend getting it fixed or buying a new laptop?

HP Recommended

I don't know your financial situation, but a motherboard replacement tends to cost close to the price of a new laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.