Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 14-AM036TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been experiencing crashes on most of the games I play on my laptop since I tweak some settings that caused Division 2 to run 30+ FPS on lowest on my laptop compare to 20FPS before I tweak. During that time, my laptop was somehow overclocked and it would become so hot. I would play hours of hours but the game would crash mid game maybe because of overheating but then I would launch it again and play another hour. Since that, games like GTA V, Dota 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and some other games would just crash when I load into them. It would launch normally and when I load into the game to play then black screen appear and crashed. I tried updating intel driver, windows update, and AMD display driver to the latest version available but the problem still persist. Strangely games like Minecraft and FIFA 19 is running normally without crashes or black screen. Recently I discovered that by updating BIOS might help with the problem and I went to update my BIOS since HP provided the latest version on July last year but sadly the problem still not solved. That is when I tried rolling back to older version of AMD driver that I remember back in the day where these problems would not happen when I play any games. I also tried disabling the AMD display driver in the Device Manager and just let the Intel iGPU run and the game seems to be running without crashses but it would stutter and run on low FPS since the iGPU is not powerful as the AMD GPU. Keep in mind I did uninstall the installed version AMD driver using the AMD cleanup utility on safe mode before installing back the other version of the driver. I hope someone can help me solve this problem. Im afraid that maybe my GPU is rather dead or dying. 

Laptop Model: HP Notebook 14-AM036TX
BIOS Version/Date: Insyde F.37, 2/7/2020
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 5th Generation
GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M330
          Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
RAM: 8GB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only other suggestion is that the laptop is old enough to benefit from removing and reseating the heatsink/cooling fan and applying new thermal compound. Over time the thermal compound can shrink and crack and lose cooling effectiveness. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

my laptop was somehow overclocked and it would become so hot.

"somehow"?

HP Recommended

Yeah I mean after the tweaking the performance was boosted so much that its almost somehow overclocked my laptop. By tweaking I mean I followed some youtube tutorial to boost low end pc performance for gaming by tweaking some settings on the windows and on AMD software.

HP Recommended

You are not going to elaborate what you did and expect us to provide meaningful help?

HP Recommended

1. Enabling ultimate performance using the command prompt and changing settings for the battery plan for the mode to maximum performance. 
2. Disabling some apps on the startup.

3. Change the sound settings to the lowest quality.

4. Change the advance system settings to utilize performance.

5. Select the game on Gaming settings in the window settings and put it on High Performance.

Thats pretty much all of it. But I did reset the laptop to factory reset twice to change all the settings back to default.

HP Recommended

Everything you did is adjusting the operating system. When you reset to factory it should have undone those changes. I am frankly surprised you got such a boost out of this. It would generally make a very subtle improvement. I do think perhaps you have a hardware issue with the video card. Nothing you did can really be called overclocking so are you still under warranty time-wise?

HP Recommended

Currently its been 4 years since I bought this laptop so no more warranty. Software wise I can say I did almost everything there is to solve the problem but nothing was fixed. It all comes down to hardware like you said. 

HP Recommended

The only other suggestion is that the laptop is old enough to benefit from removing and reseating the heatsink/cooling fan and applying new thermal compound. Over time the thermal compound can shrink and crack and lose cooling effectiveness. 

HP Recommended

Yeah Im going to replace the thermal paste and clean the component. Thank you so much for your assisst.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.