Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

The laptop did an upgrade, now the screen goes black and says personalized settings not responding 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CarrieLou Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, let's start with performing a bios recovery: click here for details,

When done, try the below steps:

Sometimes just restarting Windows can get it to sort out whatever is wrong on its own. Here’s how to restart Windows properly while stuck on this screen:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open what’s known as the Windows Security screen.
  2. Click on the power icon in the bottom right corner and then on Restart.

If after restarting you still encounter the “Personalized Settings (Not Responding)” error, read on for more solutions.

As this error has to do with Windows Explorer, restarting it can fix it:

In order to do this, you’ll once again need to access the Windows Security screen:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open the Windows Security screen and then click on Task Manager.
  2. Once Task Manager has opened, scroll down and search for Windows Explorer then right-click on it and then click on Restart. You can also click on Windows Explorer to highlight it and then click the Restart button on the bottom right.
    • Click on More details in the bottom left corner to see all processes if your Task Manager does not show everything.

Restarting Windows Explorer this way isn’t always enough, however. Sometimes you need to completely stop Windows Explorer and then start it again with administrator privileges. This can also be done from Task Manager:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open the Windows Security screen and then click on Task Manager.
  2. Once Task Manager has opened, scroll down and search for Windows Explorer, right-click on it and then click on End Task.
  3. Now click on the File menu in the top left and then on Run new task.
  4. In the window that comes up type in “explorer” in the Open:  box, make sure to tick the Create this task with administrative privileges box and then click OK.
  5. If all goes well you should have your desktop back. It’s a good idea to restart your computer to see if the problem comes back.

If following these steps doesn’t work or the problem comes back after restarting, there’s still more you can try.

You’ll need to open Command Prompt in order to do this. Normally you’d do this through the Windows start menu or Windows search, but as they will likely not be available for you, you’ll need to open Command Prompt from Task Manager. Here’s how:

2. Now click on the File menu in the top left and then on Run new task.
  3. In this new window type “cmd” into the box, tick the Create this task with administrative privileges box and then click OK.
  4. In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste the following command:

sfc /scannow

and then press Enter.

5. The scan will then begin and attempt to fix any corrupted files it finds. This can take a while. Wait for it to finish.
  6. Once the scan and repairs have completed, restart your computer to see if the problem still occurs. Use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete shortcut to reach the Windows Security screen again in order to do so.

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@S_Anand Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

here's what I personally suggest:
1. Click the Start icon
2 .Type in regedit
3. Select regedit from the top of the result
4. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
5. Edit ForegroundFlashCount
>> Find ForegroundFlashCount
>> Double click ForegroundFlashCount
>> Replace the value for Value Data with 1
>> Edit ForgroundLockTimeout
>> Find ForegroundLockTimeout
>> Double click ForegroundLockTimeout
>> Replace the value for Value Data with 0
6. Reboot your PC.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.