Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17w294nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear community,

Apparently the HP Omen laptops seem to be plagued with batteries, which are easy to get swollen. Some quick online research led me to the conclusion that this is indeed not an uncommon problem. This came as a surprise to me, as I always thought that HP is a quality brand. I therefore hope that it's not intended to have a HP product fail just a few months after the warranty expires (November 2019). Surely HP wouldn't imitate the strategies of manufacturers of kitchen appliances etc.? It's really a shame, as I do enjoy using this laptop. And since I use all the correct accessories for it, didn't open, change or overclock it in any way, I would have liked to use it for a couple of years more.

Anyways, I live in Switzerland and I need a suitable replacement battery so that I can switch it out. After all, I wouldn't want a defective HP product to explode and to injure me or to further damage my laptop. I'm aware that the HP Council didn't categorize this problem as a serious threat, but I would nonetheless like to know who I can contact about this (in Switzerland). If I can't get a battery replacement or if the cost is unreasonably high, I would hesitate replacing this notebook with another HP product. As an optimal solution for me, I would like to send you the broken battery as proof and receive a new one in return. I should be able to change it myself.

Thank you for your time, interest and efforts. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely,

Patrick

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the needed part:

(22) Battery, 6 cell, 95 WH, 4.15 Ah, LI 853294-855

Service Manual 

Pages 33-36 show the procedure to replace the battery. We get a post like this every now and then. It is not a problem with HP Omen laptops, or anything specific to HP. The problem is the chemistry of Lithium Ion. Lithium Ion batteries are subject to swelling. Happens with cell phones, happens with all brands of laptops and other devices with Li-ion batteries which is a lot of things these days. If you have a battery swell up its not proof of some defect in the product or negligent production. It is an unavoidable consequence. So your battery has failed and now needs replacement. It is not an explosion or fire risk but you do need to get it removed from the laptop as soon as possible. 

https://www.amazon.de/Hubei-Ersatzakku-Stereo-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-853294-850-HSTNN-DB7M/dp/B07JLKBRPY/ref...

I just had a swelling battery myself on a Zbook 15 G3...larger battery so cost over $100 US to replace but I just purchased a replacement as it was beyond warranty and did the replacement myself. As you say it is not hard. I will escalate this to HP monitors, who can evaluate your requests. Your audience here is volunteers who generally do not work for HP but try to assist fellow end users. If having to spend $70 US to replace a battery causes you to purchase a different laptop, that is regrettable. 

Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

Thank you for your swift reply, helpful post and actions (forwarding it to HP monitors). I would like to express my gratitude and appreciation to everyone, who volunteers here to help others with their problems.

That said, I had so far very little reason to advocate for a corporate entity, as in current times customer satisfaction seems to be of less importance, than profit maximisation. Hence, I deemed it better to be direct and somewhat demanding. Good manners are regrettably seldom rewarded. But I do apologize, if my post did rub you the wrong way. My intention was to direct my ramblings to HP staff. And would I have found any direct way to contact HP support other than calling them, I would have done so. I did spend around 30 minutes on trying to do just that. Maybe there is a way, alas I didn't find it. Kindly excuse my ignorance.

The design decision to put the battery on the inside in a way that it endangers other parts of the notebook and bulges a big part of the frame, is very regrettable. And although I'm certainly not an expert regarding Lithium batteries, I would definitely be alarmed, if this swelling tends to happen more often with certain models or brands. As except for a Samsung phone this is the first time this happened to me on a notebook. And since this forum sees posts like this every now and then, I'm indeed concerned. There is assumingly also something like different battery quality standards for production, transportation, assembly and so on, yes? Wouldn't this influence the resulting battery?

I do thank you for the link to the manual and the replacement battery. I wasn't familiar with the model number etc. and I therefore only found one seller in Switzerland offering a most likely compatible battery for 130 USD. And after buying a notepad, I don't appreciate it to cause me to invest time and money in order to repair it right after the warranty elapses. And yes, I certainly count this as a negative experience, which destroys brand loyalty to a certain degree. Call me unreasonable, if you must.

[EDIT:] To add a bit more cheekiness to the mix let me say that it would indeed be regrettable, if LOUSY 70 USD (probably less for a big company like HP, as they buy in bulk and what not) would proof to become a problem. As you imply, that's really nothing. A symbolic price of sorts just to express an ounce of respect, which I admittedly lack. And it's not necessarily my "Bringschuld", as we say in German.

HP Recommended

Of course you have a right to be as demanding as you wish. I just say you have a right to your own opinions but not your own facts. Understand this. Laptop batteries are made by a cabal of manufacturers in Asia. The same companies make laptop batteries for Toshiba, Lenovo, Acer, HP. They use the same internal cells and the same plastics. The only thing different is the shape of the battery which is dictated by the overall design of the laptop. Laptop batteries have gone internal because the public demands sleek and slim laptops and that is harder to provide if you make a removeable battery. Workstation laptops, which are allowed to be big and bulky, for the most part still have clip in and clip out batteries. I will defend your right to advocate for yourself as a consumer but you should understand what is really going on. It's too much of a cliche to blame your immediate misfortune to be on the wrong side of maybe a 1% chance of a swelling battery on corporate greed. Often that is the answer but not here. Viel Glueck. 

HP Recommended

@Demovitron

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns and frustration

I will escalate your concerns to the appropriate team. We will need few information

I have sent you a private message. Please reply back with the requested information

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

Thank you for your understanding and explanation. As I have neither a deepened understanding of this industry, nor direct contact to the decision makers of HP, I won't insist on claiming perfect knowledge about the circumstances. And I honestly appreciate your insight and your patience with my case. I would however always blame the party that directly sells me something, as in our legal system said party could then go to the previous step in the supply chain and demand compensation as well. I find this reasonable, as otherwise it's just a game of passing around responsibility and in the end it's no one's fault and no changes take place. But I'm aware that my warranty expired.

Anyway, thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you, KrazyToad

I'll check it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.