Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 16 plus

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new HP Pavilion 16 plus as a replacement for my 10 years old Asus N56. The HP is great in terms of design and screen, but there is one thing which I notice is significantly more irritating than my previous laptop - the fan starts every 3-4 minutes even when I'm only browsing - it's not loud at all but it is not a constant noise in terms of volume but rather more like sea waves or wind blowing though windows, it gets louder and then quieter in a regular pattern, imagine a sinus wave. Then it stops and becomes absolutely quiet and the starts again with the repeating pattern like waves on the sea shore...  I find this very distracting and I wonder if this is normal or if it has something to do with my laptop. 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Seaborn ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand that the irregular fan noise on your brand-new HP Pavilion 16 Plus would be distracting. While some fan noise is normal, there are a few things you can check to see if it's working correctly:

1. Check for Overheating:

• Temperature: Even while browsing, some laptops can get warm, causing the fan to kick in. Download a program like HWMonitor to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures. If they're consistently exceeding 70-80 degrees Celsius, your laptop might be overheating.

2. Software Issues:

• Outdated Drivers: Outdated BIOS or chipset drivers can sometimes affect fan control. Check the HP website for your specific Pavilion 16 Plus model and update all available drivers, especially BIOS.
  • Background Processes: Close any unnecessary programs running in the background that might be using resources and causing the temperature to rise.

3. Hardware Issues (Less Likely with New Laptop):

• Dust Buildup: Though less likely on a brand new laptop, dust buildup in the vents can restrict airflow and make the fan work harder. If you're comfortable doing so, you can carefully blow out the vents with compressed air with the laptop off and unplugged.

Refer to this document:   HP Notebook PCs - Fan is noisy and spins constantly (Windows)

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.