Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP Envy laptop a month ago brand new.

Today the HP support assistant popped up and said my warranty has expired on 9 february 2017

This is a month before I bought the laptop

How can I get this corrected?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if the info at the link below is of help to you...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05084516

HP Recommended

Maybe someone actived and returned it?

HP Recommended

I see no evidence that this laptop was previously activated and returned. All packaging and all seals were in place and when switching on for the first time I had to go through the using activation process

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

See if the info at the link below is of help to you...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05084516

Thanks. I've done that and filed a dispute.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Stores could still reseal items, I bought a guitar at bestbuy and the string broke so I returned it. But I got one that was opened and it still looked like it was new. I returned it and all the ones I got back were opened So I returned it.

HP Recommended

When a HP product is sealed, etc, and the warranty shows expired that normally means the product has been sitting in the warehouse for a long time (new old stock).

HP for some odd reason, starts the warranty clock ticking the minute the product leaves the factory.

You can tell exactly when the notebook was made by looking at the 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number.

The 4th character is the year it was made, so 2016 for example, the 4th character will be a 6.

Then the 5th and 6th characters are the week of the year it was made (01-52).

To put my hypothetical example together, if the 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number are 626, that means the notebook was made in the last week of June 2016.

HP Recommended

I see. Going by what you say my laptop was made in the first week of 2016.

It's a stupid way of working out warranties. As it expired in february this year they can't even allow much time for devices to sell before starting warranty

HP Recommended

Yep.

I don't know why HP can't do what most other companies do.

You register the PC, enter the serial number, date of purchase, etc.

If they want you to go the extra step and upload a copy of the invoice/sales receipt, fine.

But many folks discover this when they need to submit a warranty claim, and then they have to go into overdrive to get the warranty start and end dates squared away before they can get warranty service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.