Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-ch004no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the latest Windows Updates on Build 10.0.16299 my keyboard and touchpad no longer disable when flipping past 180 degrees.

I have seen numerous issues posted from people back when there was an option in Keyboard Settings via the Control Panel to auto-lock keyboard and touchpad. However, in new builds of Windows that is no longer an option. 

The latest update to Intel Virtual Buttons caused a problem with Rotation Lock, which required uninstalling it to resolve. This resolution did not resolve the keyboard and touchpad no longer auto-locking, however.

Other manufacturers have utilities that help control the behavior of the 2-in-1 in various modes, but HP doesn't seem to have anything like that.

Could there be a conflict with another driver or utility from Intel that is disabling the auto-lock?

My sensors (4) are all showing as working and functional in device manager.

Rather than simply step-by-step resolution, I would like some information as to what causes conflicts with the device knowing when to lock the keyboard and touchpad as it is impossible to stop Windows Updates permanently, nor would I want to! Key features in a 2-in-1 should not be broken by a simple update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Akraen,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that the keyboard does not get disabled in tablet mode.  I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:

• Does the switch between desktop mode and tablet mode work correctly?

To answer your question the tablet mode may get disabled because of an update due to numerous reasons.

• The Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver which is a key driver to keep it enabled and to disable the keyboard may get disabled.
  • The switch from tablet mode to desktop mode may not work correctly after the update sometimes.
  • Also, It would be impossible to pinpoint which update causes this action as it could be a bunch of cumulative updates or one specific update that causes this.
  • Besides these updates which cause this to happen can vary as well.
  • Sometimes it could be that the issue is hardware related, with the sensors not working correctly and the Windows updates could be coincidental.

For now, please try these steps:

Go to control panel

2. Go to Display

3. Go to Adjust Resolution

4. Be sure "Allow the screen to auto-rotate" is CHECKED.

If this does not work then try this link: https://hp.care/2ihSeEb

Also, uninstall the keyboard in device manager and restart the computer.

Solution 1:

The keyboard in Windows 10 has an automatic detector to disable the keyboard and the trackpad as soon as it becomes a 'tablet'. To access it go to the following menu items:
Control panel (NOT SETTINGS) -> Keyboard (use icons) -> Keyboard Lock -> Auto-Lock the keyboard and touchpad (recommended)
You can use these settings to disable the keyboard in tablet mode.

Solution 2:

Some of the users who had the similar issue have mentioned in some forums that the issue is fixed by adjusting the angle of the tablet. When the laptop is rotated sideways it attempts to switch to tablet mode, even when you have not adjusted the screen angle. The sensing is done by an orientation sensor in the base of the laptop, not in the hinges. So, to turn the keyboard back on and to go to laptop mode try tilting the whole laptop towards you slightly and check.

Solution3

• If it does not please perform a complete system recovery again to factory settings.
  • Then install the latest version of HP support assistant.
  • Please perform all Windows update again.
  • Then update the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver from https://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Please run the Intel driver utility and update it from the Intel website.
  • Also, ensure that you have the latest bios update by running HP support assistant.
  • This should do the trick for you if there is no hardware issue with the computer.

Solution 4: 

Go to Device Manager > System devices > Intel Integrated Sensor Solution and ensure that the driver is enabled.

Solution 5:

Goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Check the value of Enable file if it is 0 rotation will be OFF, if 1 rotation will be ON.

Restart and Auto rotation will work. 

Note: The lock rotation button in display settings will still be disabled

Solution 6

Backup your important data and perform a system recovery to factory settings on your computer by following instructions from this link: https://hp.care/2I7YDxk

This should do the trick for you.

If the issue persists, then contact HP phone support via this link: https://hp.care/2moMFSc

and follow the onscreen instructions as the issue may also be hardware related after performing all these steps:

They should be happy to take care of it if the computer is under warranty.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.  

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Akraen,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that the keyboard does not get disabled in tablet mode.  I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:

• Does the switch between desktop mode and tablet mode work correctly?

To answer your question the tablet mode may get disabled because of an update due to numerous reasons.

• The Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver which is a key driver to keep it enabled and to disable the keyboard may get disabled.
  • The switch from tablet mode to desktop mode may not work correctly after the update sometimes.
  • Also, It would be impossible to pinpoint which update causes this action as it could be a bunch of cumulative updates or one specific update that causes this.
  • Besides these updates which cause this to happen can vary as well.
  • Sometimes it could be that the issue is hardware related, with the sensors not working correctly and the Windows updates could be coincidental.

For now, please try these steps:

Go to control panel

2. Go to Display

3. Go to Adjust Resolution

4. Be sure "Allow the screen to auto-rotate" is CHECKED.

If this does not work then try this link: https://hp.care/2ihSeEb

Also, uninstall the keyboard in device manager and restart the computer.

Solution 1:

The keyboard in Windows 10 has an automatic detector to disable the keyboard and the trackpad as soon as it becomes a 'tablet'. To access it go to the following menu items:
Control panel (NOT SETTINGS) -> Keyboard (use icons) -> Keyboard Lock -> Auto-Lock the keyboard and touchpad (recommended)
You can use these settings to disable the keyboard in tablet mode.

Solution 2:

Some of the users who had the similar issue have mentioned in some forums that the issue is fixed by adjusting the angle of the tablet. When the laptop is rotated sideways it attempts to switch to tablet mode, even when you have not adjusted the screen angle. The sensing is done by an orientation sensor in the base of the laptop, not in the hinges. So, to turn the keyboard back on and to go to laptop mode try tilting the whole laptop towards you slightly and check.

Solution3

• If it does not please perform a complete system recovery again to factory settings.
  • Then install the latest version of HP support assistant.
  • Please perform all Windows update again.
  • Then update the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver from https://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Please run the Intel driver utility and update it from the Intel website.
  • Also, ensure that you have the latest bios update by running HP support assistant.
  • This should do the trick for you if there is no hardware issue with the computer.

Solution 4: 

Go to Device Manager > System devices > Intel Integrated Sensor Solution and ensure that the driver is enabled.

Solution 5:

Goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Check the value of Enable file if it is 0 rotation will be OFF, if 1 rotation will be ON.

Restart and Auto rotation will work. 

Note: The lock rotation button in display settings will still be disabled

Solution 6

Backup your important data and perform a system recovery to factory settings on your computer by following instructions from this link: https://hp.care/2I7YDxk

This should do the trick for you.

If the issue persists, then contact HP phone support via this link: https://hp.care/2moMFSc

and follow the onscreen instructions as the issue may also be hardware related after performing all these steps:

They should be happy to take care of it if the computer is under warranty.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.  

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Also, thank you for the very detailed reply.

I ended up just doing a refresh because I also wanted to attempt to resolve the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE problem that many owners of the i7-8705G with Vega M GL are having. I posted about it on AMD support here: https://community.amd.com/thread/228261 - nothing has resolved that yet but it is a separate issue from this thread.

The Windows refresh resolved the issue - everything is working now. At the time, tablet mode itself worked. Also, since refresh the Intel Virtual Buttons and Integrated Sensor Solution Driver work fine, but before the refresh they didn't. I have no idea what broke those or how to prevent them from breaking again, but at least with cloud storage refreshes are easy these days.

Please update your information in "Solution 1" as it no longer applies to Windows 10. They have removed Keyboard Lock from the Control Panel's (not settings) Keyboard section. That won't help anyone on newer versions of Windows.

HP Recommended

@Akraen,

I read your quick response. I will make a note of it regarding solution 1. Going forward it will be implemented. The original post cannot be edited. However, the feedback is taken.  Thanks again for that.

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution.  You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.