Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought spectre x360, 2 days ago, and I heard a constat buzzing after shutdown computer completely which comes from bottom air intake close to "delete" button. When I turn-on X360, the buzzing is stronger; normally it is not possible to understand a noise while you work, however it is really weird that there is a buzzing noise,  even after shutdown completely. I contacted with HP service, however they said there is no any record for similar things and they said the buzzing is normal.

I should say this is not good, I checked some forums and saw some records related HD520 Intel. And it is obvious there is no any solution. However, my problem is more, buzzing noise goes on after shutdown. I made some minor test, I insert a USB and the buzzing was more noisy, after takei it out buzzing niose was minor however still. 

My question, what should I do? Isn't it weird that you turn off your computer and get on a plane and your computer is still active! Or it consume battery life while you sleep? Or isn't clear that there is a problem with this computer?

I hope someone from HP answers me, because service thinks it is OK! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I found the solution, I disabled USB charging in Bios and the buzzing noise is stopped. It is obvious it is related with Bios driver; I believe USB charging should disable automatically if there is no any USB device inserted. I also found that it causes battery drain even during power off. So the solution is disabling USB charging

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@DETR, thanks for taking time to reach us on HP Support Forums. I understand that your  HP spectre x360 makes a buzzing noise. This noise persists even when the laptop of powered off. This is a very rare issue. Ideally, no noise should appear when the laptop is powered OFF. You have definitely done some good observation for  this issue. 

I suggest you reach out to HP phone support (www.hp.com/contacthp) and setup a hardware service for your laptop. This noise is something internal and needs to be looked upon by the service centre. Good luck and feel free to reach ou to us for any further questions. Cheers!

HP Recommended
I found the solution, I disabled USB charging in Bios and the buzzing noise is stopped. It is obvious it is related with Bios driver; I believe USB charging should disable automatically if there is no any USB device inserted. I also found that it causes battery drain even during power off. So the solution is disabling USB charging
HP Recommended

@DETR, thanks for letting us know. Certainly, you have done your part of research and have done a good job in letting us know too. Your reply will also help other customers who look for a solution on the web. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I bought the brand new spectre x360 a few days ago. I have the same exact issue. Last night, I shut down my computer completely and left it on the charger to charge. Upon waking up, I hear a whirring sound coming from the left fan vent. The laptop was on obviously while the lid was closed and charger plugged in. However, when I pulled the power cable from the thunderbolt 3 port, the whirring sound stopped completely.

I have tried turning off USB charging within the BIOS but it has not solved anything for me. The problem still continues.

Please don't say this is a rare issue because it's not. I bought the same laptop last week and it had the same issue. The same new laptop I'm using right now is experiencing the same thing as well. Looks like I will have to return this laptop for good. HP is obviously doing something wrong.

I've been reading on HP forums that it is a bug with the Intel Management Engine Interface driver. The new 11.xxx version causes the laptop to not fully shut down when tasked to do so. Many people found that rolling back to the 9.xxx driver solved their shutdown issue. However, HP doesn't offer that rollback for the new Spectres.

HP Recommended

Hi @Ydan13,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! 🙂 It is a terrific place to find answers and tips and to get the best from the community.  I read your post about a buzzing noise from the fan of your computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy and technically competent customers like you. Excellent troubleshooting to isolate the issue correctly. Hats off to you!:)

We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

First off, we need to figure out if the issue is software or hardware related.

Please perform a hard reset first from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Please run complete system diagnostics from this link to first isolate that all the tests pass.

Link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Please make a note of any failure code that may show up on the screen.

If all the tests pass then please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers

Then check these link out for further assistance: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591

Link 2: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

If the whirring noise continues, then it is a possible hardware issue with the computer. Please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced by visiting this link: http://hp.com/contacthp Please follow the on-screen instructions to get the unit serviced.

If it is a new unit and purchased directly from HP, then you have a 30 day return window as well.

Please perform all the required steps as I know that you are technically very competent. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

I would require more information regarding this to assist you better.

When did this first begin?

Have you tried a wired network connection to check?

Did a recent software or app update cause this?

If this occurrence is recent, then you could perform a system restore from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 to try and correct the situation.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Ydan13,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

As I understand the laptops battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern, I have a few suggestions for you,

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check it’s a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test results for the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Remember that each time a battery is discharged and recharged, its useful life is shortened. To maximize battery life, charge it fully, and then remove it from the notebook while using AC power. Only use the battery when AC power is not available, and store the battery in a cool, dry place between uses - For FAQ's click here

Calibrating the Notebook Battery

Re-install the battery drivers

If the issue persists, you will need to either contact HP phone support by clicking here.

Or using this link to know about Purchasing a Replacement Battery

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.

Both icons are below this post.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.