Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ57
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

hi

i have bought my notebook in year 2012.and now my pc is running very slow.

it doesnot support any game  over 2 gb and also it gets over heated while using for 2 hours.

my pc has 2 gb of ram having intel pentium cpu B906 which clocked @2.20GHz.

i wanted to upgrade my pc with minimum 4 gb of ram and 3 gb of graphics card ..will this pc support this type of hardware.?

can its processor be upgradable to intel i3 or or i5.?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is your COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ57 ?  Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

sir 

here is my notebooks specifications. :-

NOTEBOOK MODEL-presario CQ57 NOTEBOOK PC

PRODUCT NO-A9R92PA#ACJ

SYSTEM BOARD NO-3672

PRODUCT CONFIGURATION ID-CNB1 0693120000004910000600000

SYSTEM BOARD CT NO-PCJQLA3JE1W82H

BIOS VERSION-F.39

PROCESSOR TYPE-Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @2.20GHz

TOTAL MEMORY-2GB

PRIMARY BATTERY SN-15806

is it worth to upgrade this pc or to buy a new product.?

HP Recommended

Just as an FYI to anyone seeking answers on here for the same question..  

Can you upgrade the processor in a laptop.. 

The answer is yes, permitting you have a laptop with a socket type processor and the chipset supports other processors.in the same range as your current one. If it's a soldered  chip, it can still be done if you are skilled enough, but not a tast for the faint hearted. 

I am currently using a Compaq Presario CQ57-339WM that came with 2gb of 1600Mhz of DDR3 ram, a 350 gb HDD and a Sandy Bridge based Intel Celron (B800) clocked in at 1.50Ghz put on an HP Motherboard running the HM65 Express chipset and the F.33 bios (2011 version), all on Windows 7 platform. 

I recently scoured the internet for information on this chipset and its compatibility with other chips of a similar architecture .

This is what I found.. 

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Mobile_Celeron_Dual-Core/B800.html

While this only explains part of the issue at hand, know that it's a large part of the answer to whether or not one of them can work. 

I recently upgraded mine to 8Gb of DDR3 1600 MHz ram, a 240 Gb Kingston Black SSD, a Sandy Bridge based Core i3 2330M clocked at 2.2 Ghz, updated the bios to F.39(2013 version), and upgraded to Windows 10.

No drivers were missing for the main equipment BTW, but I did have issues with the SD card reader which I solved by using the Windows 8 drivers, and they worked like a charm.

To find your ram upgrade, type Compaq Presario CQ(your model) into Google search and it should show you the Crucial website as one of the results. They have been the best choice for my various versions of the Presario.

Mine is here: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/presario-cq57-339wm

The CPU upgrade required nothing more then a bios update and has been working like a charm after just dropping it in. It does however, have a higher running temp then the Celron so be sure you are able to figure something out for cooling it. If you're tech savvy, I also recommend undervolting the processor slightly to increase battery performance, and possibly lowering temps. I squeezed about 30 extra minutes out of my battery by just putting the processor in but about another 10 by undervolting.

This thing is fast compared to what it was. 

If you feel like giving it a go, remember, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for taking the these laptops apart and even some for installing the CPU, but remember the number one thing when handling any computer parts..

Be careful and stay grounded and keep track of what goes where. Do it in one go to lessen the chance of losing parts or forgetting to reconnect any wires or ribbons you remove during the breakdown.

And for the love of God.. Do not force your new CPU in. It's a socket and should just drop right in with no force needed. If you have to push it down, it's in wrong, or it has a bent pin.

That's all for now.. Enjoy.. 

HP Recommended

Almost forgot. 

On the HM65 Express compatible processor list, I stayed on the side of caution and used a lower ranked processor, but there is a possibility higher ranked ones will work as well (eg: Core i5 and Core i7) . Although I would not try anything above a dual core with a TDP of 35w and with the (M) label following its name. Also pay attention to the Stepping information.

I did hear that while Sandy Bridge processors have a better chance at working on the HM65 Express chipset, there are a few 3rd gen Ivy Bridge processors with a TDP of 35w that will work as well. Very few..

The last thing.. 

I forgot to add the socket information for my board. 

My socket type is rPGA988B (aka G2). 

While some rPGA988A's will work, it would be best to go for B's. 

@Lopez79 wrote:

Just as an FYI to anyone seeking answers on here for the same question..  

Can you upgrade the processor in a laptop.. 

The answer is yes, permitting you have a laptop with a socket type processor and the chipset supports other processors.in the same range as your current one. If it's a soldered  chip, it can still be done if you are skilled enough, but not a tast for the faint hearted. 

I am currently using a Compaq Presario CQ57-339WM that came with 2gb of 1600Mhz of DDR3 ram, a 350 gb HDD and a Sandy Bridge based Intel Celron (B800) clocked in at 1.50Ghz put on an HP Motherboard running the HM65 Express chipset and the F.33 bios (2011 version), all on Windows 7 platform. 

I recently scoured the internet for information on this chipset and its compatibility with other chips of a similar architecture .

This is what I found.. 

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Mobile_Celeron_Dual-Core/B800.html

While this only explains part of the issue at hand, know that it's a large part of the answer to whether or not one of them can work. 

I recently upgraded mine to 8Gb of DDR3 1600 MHz ram, a 240 Gb Kingston Black SSD, a Sandy Bridge based Core i3 2330M clocked at 2.2 Ghz, updated the bios to F.39(2013 version), and upgraded to Windows 10.

No drivers were missing for the main equipment BTW, but I did have issues with the SD card reader which I solved by using the Windows 8 drivers, and they worked like a charm.

To find your ram upgrade, type Compaq Presario CQ(your model) into Google search and it should show you the Crucial website as one of the results. They have been the best choice for my various versions of the Presario.

Mine is here: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/presario-cq57-339wm

The CPU upgrade required nothing more then a bios update and has been working like a charm after just dropping it in. It does however, have a higher running temp then the Celron so be sure you are able to figure something out for cooling it. If you're tech savvy, I also recommend undervolting the processor slightly to increase battery performance, and possibly lowering temps. I squeezed about 30 extra minutes out of my battery by just putting the processor in but about another 10 by undervolting.

This thing is fast compared to what it was. 

If you feel like giving it a go, remember, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for taking the these laptops apart and even some for installing the CPU, but remember the number one thing when handling any computer parts..

Be careful and stay grounded and keep track of what goes where. Do it in one go to lessen the chance of losing parts or forgetting to reconnect any wires or ribbons you remove during the breakdown.

And for the love of God.. Do not force your new CPU in. It's a socket and should just drop right in with no force needed. If you have to push it down, it's in wrong, or it has a bent pin.

That's all for now.. Enjoy.. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.