Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My CD/DVD device does not open either Windows Media Player or iTunes when I load a CD.  I hear a couple of "turns" from the device and then it goes quiet.  I cannot force either Media Player or iTunes to open it.

I uninstalled it and it reinstalled itself upon boot up but no change.

It says that the device driver is up to date.

The BIOS shows it is present.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @billy3sticks

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the CD/ DVD drive. 

Check the disc for damage and confirm the disc is compatible with your computer.

• Clean the disc and check for damage: Clean any dust or smudges from the disc with filtered water and a lint free cloth. If there is significant damage to the playing surface, replace the disc.

• Test several different disc types: Load CDs and DVDs that are known to work in other disc players. If all discs of the same type do not play, make sure the drive supports that disc type.

• Blu-ray or DVD movie discs do not play: Make sure the drive supports the disc type. If supported, install compatible movie playback software. Go to DVD playback options for Windows (in English) for more information.

• Discs burned on a different computer do not play: Burn the disc again using another brand of blank disc. Use a lower (4x) burning speed, and confirm the burning session closed upon completion.

Try re-installing the driver - 

1) Remove any disc from the drive.
2) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
3) Double-click DVD/CD-ROM drives to expand the category.

4) Right-click the drive name, and then select Uninstall device or Uninstall.

5) Click Uninstall or similar to confirm the uninstall.
6) Close all open programs, and then restart the computer. Windows automatically configures the device.
7) Test a disc in the drive.

Also, try testing the hardware - 

1) Shutdown the computer.

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3) Press F2 once.

4) Go to Component test.

5) From the list, run the Optical Drive Test.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Asmita6658!

I've tried all of those things you mention.  None of them have "cured" my sick CD/DVD drive.

Thank you for the info though.

billy3sticks

I am NOT an HP employee.

HP Recommended

@billy3sticks

Please try a system restore - 

1. Save any open files and close all open programs.
2. In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.
3. On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.
4. Click Next.
5. Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.
6. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
7. Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. 
8. Click Yes in the warning that appears.
9. System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.