Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 (15-CH004NA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone, 

I bought a HP Spectre x360 (15-CH004NA) mainly for work but also to do some light gaming, due to it's hybrid GPU. I have been finding it absolutely impossible to do any gaming on this machine, which runns smoothly generally, but stops responding completely at regular intevals, around every minute, where it will freeze for 10 seconds with framerates of ~5fps. 

I have installed MSI AFterburner which shows the CPU clock regularly dropping to 799MHz before returning to ~3.6GHz. This is the same on all cores simultaneously. 

image.png

This is not related to CPU temperature which is stable at ~70C, even before and during the lag. Systemwide, I have the latest drivers and BIOS installed and have set my power settings (and BIOS settings) to 'MAXIMISE PERFORMENCE' with minimum processor state set to 100% on both battery and plugged-in.

Is anyone else having these issues with this machine, or is mine a dud.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I replaced my thermal paste with liquid metal and reinstalled windows and all the drivers and I still have this issue, I even underclocked the CPU to 3.0 GHz on all cores using XTU and it still kept happening. I feel like HP has put some kind of software lock to stop this laptop competing with the OMEN line, because it is happy to tank performance than spin up the fans.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.