Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 8740W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

SALVE, VORREI AGGIORNARE IL MIO HP 8740W , CAMBIARE IL PROCESSORE  E SCHEDA GRAFICA, ATTUALMENTE  HO UN INTEL CORE I5-560M , QUALE PROCESSORE MI CONSIGLIATE????

IL DISSIPATORE VA CAMBIATO O RESTA IL SUO?

LA SCHEDA GRAFICA ATTUALMENTE E UN HD 5800  UNA SUPERIORE???

SALUTI E RINGRAZIO ANTICIPAMENTE CHI MI RISPONDE.....

CHIEDO SCUSA SE HO SCRITTO IN GRASSETTO....MA NON HO TEMPO PER RISCRIVERE TUTTO ORA....

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MAVERIK83,

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, I would like to update my HP 8740w, change the processor and graphics card, currently I have an INTEL CORE I5-560m, what processor do you recommend???
The heatsink that needs to be changed or remains yours?
The graphics card that currently is a HD 5800. A Superior???
What do you recommend?

Greetings and thank you in advance who answers me...

HP Recommended

On that model you have either a Quad Core or Dual Core motherboard so you have the dual core version and the highest and best processor will be the i7-640M. The laptop has an MXM video slot.

You say you have HD 5800 video but that was not one of the factory options for an MXM video card. All of the options are engineering type cards like the AMD Firepro or nVidia Quadro series. See p. 1 of the Manual at the bottom of the page here:

Service manual

If you change MXM video cards you might also need a new heatsink and fan. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

hi thanks. My elite book 8740w product xt908ut#aba 2 slot ram .. Mother board hp mod 1520 kbc vers 33.32 chipset intel havendale\clarkdale rev 02 ..qm57 rev 05   bios 68cad vers f60 socked 989 rpga

HP Recommended

According to the Product Number you have the Firepro 7820 video. The nVidia Quadro 5000M Quadro is a better video card still not a gaming card but a bit stronger engineering/CAD type card. If you switch to an nVidia card you need a different heatsink. You also definitely are limited with that motherboard to dual core not quad core cpus. 

Please fill us in on exactly what you want to accomplish. MXM video cards are very expensive to buy and it may not make economic sense. The CPU upgrade would be much less costly and would not require any new hardware except the CPU itself. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.