Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6985se Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Currently this Notebook has an Intel Core Duo TM2 (T5750 @2.00GHz.  The System Board is: Quanta 30CC 79.2E.  The chipset is Intel GM965.  It has 4g memory.   I happen to have a brand new Intel  Core Duo T7800 2.6 GHz 4M L2 Cache 800MHz FSB Socket P Tray/OEM Dual Core Mobile Processor.  My question is:  Would this T7800 be compatible with this motherboard? And is it user friendly to replace?   I have surfed the net and cannot find a definitive answer on this.  If not, could someone tell me what is the maximum sensible CPU upgrade this motherboard would allow, keeping in mind my power supply?  Theoretically speaking as well?  I would appreciate any and all comments.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are stuck with that motherboard or at least another from the same model series. When a laptop is designed, there is a single, one-off motherboard also designed. Laptop motherboards are not industry standard interchangeable with anything else. So upgrading to more modern hardware means buying a different laptop, not just slapping in a better motherboard, processor, memory as you can do with a desktop.  

I agree with @Paul_Tikkanen that CPU T7800 has a decent chance of working for you. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

As long as you have BIOS F.45 or newer installed, you can upgrade to the following processors...

F.45 Adds support for Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processors T8100, T8300, T9300, and T9500

Below is the link to the service manual...Processor R&R procedures can be found in chapter 4.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877

I think the T7800 should work.  The T7500 was offered as the best processor at the time the model came out.

Here is the side by side comparison of the T7500 and the T7800.  They are pretty much the same, except for the faster speed of the T7800.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/31729,29761

Now, there is one important note...You are running W7.  That means you cannot update the BIOS or you will wreck the PC.

You can only update the BIOS if you are running windows vista.

HP Recommended

Thanks Mr. Tikkanen,  You know I was wondering about and worried about that as well.  I should have included that my OS is now Windows 7 Ultimate.   Now I guess there will be now CPU upgrade coming.  This all leads me back to my original question that I posted on 9/11/2016 about upgrading the Motherboard to something newer that would still fit this particular hp case.  Which by the way, never got answered, instead I went in the direction of getting windows to update and satisfied my frustration with the old motherboard.  However, if you have any knowledge of a more modern Motherboard at least by 3-5 years beyond 2009 that would fit, I would appreciate it or any direction to find that answer.  My other laptop is a dv6 6163cl and the chassis or case looks so, so simular to the dv6985se you would think I could put a motherboard from the newer one into the old one.  But, who knows what it looks like opened up????  Anyway thank you sir for you wisdom and prompt answer.  And of course, and direction offered.

HP Recommended

Wow, I just remembered that I did in fact update the BIOS before I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate while I was still operating in Window Vista Home Premium.  I just used CPUID and the BIOS is "F.58" and that is current.  So, what do you think?  Alot easier that the Motherboard fit...

HP Recommended

You are stuck with that motherboard or at least another from the same model series. When a laptop is designed, there is a single, one-off motherboard also designed. Laptop motherboards are not industry standard interchangeable with anything else. So upgrading to more modern hardware means buying a different laptop, not just slapping in a better motherboard, processor, memory as you can do with a desktop.  

I agree with @Paul_Tikkanen that CPU T7800 has a decent chance of working for you. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may as well give the T7800 you have lying around a shot.

Here is a side by side comparison of the processor you have now, and the T7800...The key differences are the faster processing and FSB speed, the larger L2 cache, and the T7800 supports hardware virtualization.

So it would probably be a decent improvement.  The only thing is the 800 FSB won't help much, because the memory in the Mobile Intel 965 chipset only runs at 667 MHz (even if you install PC2-6400 memory).

http://ark.intel.com/compare/31729,33915

As far as motherboard, I believe you would be throwing good money after bad.

The only other motherboard you can get would be the one for Intel processors that has the nvidia graphics listed in the service manual (chapter 3).

That will give you better graphics performance, but there was a major defect in those motherboards with the nvidia GPU.

The GPU tends to overheat over time (and not in very long time), and the GPU comes partially undone from the motherboard, causing video problems.

The excessive heat also causes other issues, such as cutting power to the wireless, audio and DVD drive.

HP Recommended

Thank for your reply.  I've never had the motherboard issue explained to me like that.  And that is a simple truth that I needed for my answer.  I'm satisfied now, and can move on.  Thanks again for your time and website suggestion for cpu comparisons.  At least I can do some improvement to go with the windows 7 upgrade.  I just wanted to save this laptop and update it as much as possible.  It belonged to my deseased brother and has been on a shelf since 2011.  Thanks to you all for your support. And to HP for having such an arena for people to get and share answers for their products... Take care.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello again, just wanted to update you on the cpu upgrade.  I installed it this morning, and thought it would be alot of work.  However, it was easy.  Laptop booted up nicely and everything ran smoothly.  Thanks again for all your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad the processor upgrade went smoothly.

Enjoy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.