Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ62-219wm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in this laptop as the basic CPU (the  2.2GHz Intel Celeron processor 900) is simply not sufficient for my needs.  I've done some of my own research and I've (tentatively) found this list of allegedly compatible processors in the maintainence manual for my laptop; however, I have some questions and concerns.  Here are a select few of the ones that are supposedly compatible with my specific system:

Intel Core i7-620M Processor (4M cache, 2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.33 GHz) 587259-001

Intel Core i5-540M Processor (3M cache, 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06 GHz) 594188-001

Intel Core i5-520M Processor (3M cache, 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz) 594187-001

Intel Core i5-430M Processor (3M cache, 2.26 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) 597624-001

Intel Core i3-350M Processor (3M cache, 2.26 GHz) 597623-001

Intel Core i3-330M Processor (3M cache, 2.13 GHz) 597622-001

Intel Penryn T4300 Processor (3M cache, 2.1 GHz) (for model 1.1 only) 572929-001

Intel Penryn T3100 Processor (3M cache, 1.9 GHz) (for model 1.1 only) 572925-001

Intel Penryn T4400 Processor (3M cache, 2.2 GHz) (for models 1.1 and 1.2 only) 584296-001

Intel Penryn T3300 Processor (3M cache, 2.0 GHz) (for models 1.1 and 1.2 only) 592399-001

Pentium Arrandale P6000 Processor (3M cache, 1.86 GHz) (for models 1.1 and 1.2 only) 613586-001

Pentium Arrandale P6100 Processor (3M cache, 2.0 GHz) (for model 1.2 only) 613587-001

Intel Penryn T4500 Processor (3M cache, 2.3 GHz) (for model 1.1 only) 591880-001

Intel Core i5-450M Processor (3M cache, 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) (for models 1.1 and 1.2
only) 613585-001

Intel Core i3-370M Processor (3M cache, 2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) (for models 1.1 and 1.2
only) 613584-001

Intel Core i5-560M Processor (3M cache, 2.66-3.2 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) (for model 1.2
only) 625824-001

Intel Core i5-460M Processor (3M cache, 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) (for model 1.2 only) 626039-001

Intel Core i3-380M Processor (3M cache, 2.53 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) (for model 1.2 only) 625823-001

Intel Pentium P6200 Processor (3M cache, 2.13 GHz) (for model 1.2 only) 625831-001

Intel Core i5-580M Processor (3M cache, 2.66-3.33 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.53 GHz) (for model 1.2
only) 625825-001

Intel Penryn T3500 Processor (3M cache, 2.1 GHz) (for model 1.2 only)

Supposedly, all of the aforementioned CPUs are compatible with my system, but some are only compatible with certain models (i.e. model 1.1 and model 1.2).  How do I determine which model I have and which processor will give me the best output for my money? 

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It will "work" maybe, but as I said the GL40 just does not have the circuitry to take full advantage of the advanced features of the high end processors. Also not he does not mention any i-series processors in the list. They are all Core2 Duo, except T4200. Your Celeron 900 is a single core. Even a Pentium dual like say the T4200 will be way better and will be fully compatible with the GL40 chipset and dirt cheap, to boot. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

It's more complicated than that. You have a GL40 DDR2 motherboard in that machine and it will only accept the Celeron or Pentium processors. You have to look at both the motherboard and the processor. This is one of the more confusing Service manuals HP has ever published because this series straddles a major hardware change....some use DDR2 and some use DDR3 memory, some use Core 2 Duo era processors and some use the i-series type processors. 

HP Recommended

Huffer, 

First of all, thank you for your reply.  Secondly, is there any more system-specific information I can provide to you that might be of service?  Ultimately, I'd just like to make the system stronger and most of the listed processors I provided in my opening post are well within my budgetary constraints. 

As it pertains to the motherboard's chipset, you are right; it is Intel and it does indeed use DDR2 and I have 4gb of 800mhz installed and running without a hitch. 

You always seem to be of help to me, and it's always appreciated! 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

For example, let's say I would like to use the Intel Core i5-430M 3M 2.5 Gt/s Socket G1 CPU.  Would that CPU be compatible with my system? 

HP Recommended

No. The advanced features of the i5 processor will not be activated on a motherboard with a GL40 chipset, if it works at all. That laptop is a Wal-Mart doorbuster designed to be made as cheaply as possible and it is defeatured; only the Celeron and Pentium processors will work. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

No. The advanced features of the i5 processor will not be activated on a motherboard with a GL40 chipset, if it works at all. That laptop is a Wal-Mart doorbuster designed to be made as cheaply as possible and it is defeatured; only the Celeron and Pentium processors will work. 

Huffer,

Thanks for replying so quickly and for pardoning my ignorance as it pertains to these older chipsets and motherboards.  On another forum, I found this post, I will provide it below.  Supposedly, these are all the compatible processors for the GL40 chipset boards as of the time of posting.  My question is: Is this information accurate?  I'm not trying to turn this "Walmart Special" into a gaming laptop; I just need to improve it for performance purposes as I intend on giving it to my nephew for his high school homework.  Some of the virtual classroom materials he has to access are demanding on the CPU.  I have enough memory, I just need a stronger processor to complete the laptop.  Anyway, here's the alleged list of compatible CPUs if you wouldn't mind taking a look at the post and either confirming or debunking the information. 

Thanks either way! 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
The GL40 chipset will support Any Socket P CPU with a max of 800Mhz FSB. I have owned multiple Toshiba Satellite L355's, and have installed upwards of a T9500 and T9300 successfully. These all work:

T9500
T9300
T7800
T7700
T7500
T7300
T7100
T6500
T6400
T5800
T5750
T5550
T4200

There are plenty more, but I have tried all of these successfully in a GL40 chipset motherboard. As long as you are running socket P, and do not exceed 800Mhz FSB, it will work.

HP Recommended

It will "work" maybe, but as I said the GL40 just does not have the circuitry to take full advantage of the advanced features of the high end processors. Also not he does not mention any i-series processors in the list. They are all Core2 Duo, except T4200. Your Celeron 900 is a single core. Even a Pentium dual like say the T4200 will be way better and will be fully compatible with the GL40 chipset and dirt cheap, to boot. 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

That's all I was asking for, honestly; a couple of suggestable CPUs to consider that will allow my nephew to be able to log into his online labs, access Office 365 without any lag, and also be able to watch videos in high definition without any system lag or stutter; something that is continuing to happen even with the memory upgrade. 

HP Recommended

To Huffer or Whomever is willing to help:

Well, I upgraded the processor to the T6600 Core 2 duo (2.2ghz, 2MB, 800FSB) and it's working perfectly.  My Processor load has dropped from the high 90-99% usage down to around an average of 38-45% with Avira, and MBAM working.  Definitely satisfied with the upgrade.

My NEW issues, however, is that for whatever reason, the support site for my system (I'll provide a link below) drivers for the chipset and the graphics drivers do not meet the minimum requirements for installation.  I'm aware that it could be because the version jumps could be too vast (from basic stock Windows 7 configuration drivers and the ones I was able to install) and that could be why it's telling me my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but given these are the direct downloads from the official HP site, wouldn't you think they would work? 

Any idea as to what is causing the hangup and maybe a solution?  Here's the HP link to my specific system with the drivers that are supposed to work.  It's a fresh, clean install of Windows, minus the addition of the other drivers and the antivirus and antimalware software and processor upgrade... so I don't understand why they aren't working. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-presario-cq62-200-notebook-pc-series/4149939/...

HP Recommended

Because the driver does not expect a Core 2 Duo on a GL940 chipset. I also suspect that speed stepping is not working. Does it run full out all the time? I am pleased it works and I predicted it might but all the features of the processor will not be available. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.