Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 14m-cd0001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

my HP Pavilion x360 has been serving me well over tha past 2 years. With this in mind, I'd like to make a few upgrades. I've opened up my laptop many times, so a I know exactly about the update in regards to a few components. This includes the RAM, adding an SSD, and a new CPU. RAM and SSD are obviously upgradable, but I have doubts about the CPU. I'd like to know if it is possible to even upgrade the CPU on my machine? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Only by replacing the entire system board. The CPU is soldered on. There are replacement system boards with up to an i7-8565U and 4gb video memory but a replacement system (mother) board is likely to cost nearly as much as a new laptop. And it is not certain the high end board is still in the parts pipeline. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Only by replacing the entire system board. The CPU is soldered on. There are replacement system boards with up to an i7-8565U and 4gb video memory but a replacement system (mother) board is likely to cost nearly as much as a new laptop. And it is not certain the high end board is still in the parts pipeline. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the insight, Huffer. I ask because when I look up the model of my laptop, I only get the i3-8130U CPU edition. The model in question is 14m-cd0001dx. It's just that I'd like to upgrade the CPU as well as th epreviously mentioned pieces of hardware, but since I'm only seeing the i3 edition, I am thinking that such a dream is not a reality.

HP Recommended

Yes your specific model only came with that processor. You have to broaden the search to the entire model series 14m-cd0xxx. 

See p. 20 for list of system boards:

Service Manual 

The system board pretty well defines the model but the parts are interchangeable among laptops in the same model series. 

Almost nobody actually follows through with a system board upgrade once the price is known. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Once again, thank you for the insight Huffer. I will mark your first post as the solution, as I did not know that what you mentioned in your most recent reply was a possibility.

I thought that any uppgrades to the laptop had to be the same model, instead of the same family of models. I may still consider an upgrade, as my i3 is starting to feel slow whenever I play some simple yet new games, so an i7 may be next in line in general.

Plus, I have my laptop pretty customized with various decals and such. So, just buying a new laptop would seem a little too far for my endeavors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.