Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion G4
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have this older G4 that I'd like to resurrect as a spare laptop for as little cost as possible. I replaced the cooling fan, (it had stopped some time ago), and cleaned out a large amount of dust that had accumulated. After that, the performance is still slow and the CPU usage is at 100% after a short time of running. Could the fan not operating have caused damage the processor over time? I've downloaded the manual and seen the list of available replacement processors, are all compatible? Or, are there some I should not use based on any other factors in the laptop? The current processor is the AMD A4-3300M, 1.9GHz.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The A4-3300M is pretty weak. It can take up to an A8-3520M.

Your Service manual

I generally try to talk people out of processor installs and upgrades but these AMD A-series APU units are an exception. 

The processors are very inexpensive and upgrading the processor is a plug and play proposition and you get a bump in the video hardware, to boot. 

You will not turn it into a speed demon but an A8 quad core should make it useable for a modest investment. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A8-3520M-1-6GHz-Quad-Core-AM3520DDX43GX-Socket-FS1-Processor-/1724763277...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The A4-3300M is pretty weak. It can take up to an A8-3520M.

Your Service manual

I generally try to talk people out of processor installs and upgrades but these AMD A-series APU units are an exception. 

The processors are very inexpensive and upgrading the processor is a plug and play proposition and you get a bump in the video hardware, to boot. 

You will not turn it into a speed demon but an A8 quad core should make it useable for a modest investment. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A8-3520M-1-6GHz-Quad-Core-AM3520DDX43GX-Socket-FS1-Processor-/1724763277...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll look into that. One question though, based on what I said, do you think this is the problem or could something else be wrong?

HP Recommended

Something else could be wrong but we do get a lot of complaints about usage spikes (100% cpu) on the low-end AMD CPUs. Generally if the processor or motherboard was damaged you could not install Windows on the system. 

HP Recommended

I have the new AMD A8 CPU installed and it's fine. Like you said, not a speed demon but good for what I need it for. Thanks agian. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.