Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
F9Z71PA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I´m looking to upgrande my laptop´s CPU. Its a 15 d101tx model, i wouldlike to know what CPU i can upgrade it to.

I´m looking to work with adobe after effects so I want a i7 o i9 high frecuenxy processor.
Also, if my laptop model allows it, i would like to upgrade my GPU chip.
And. finally I would like to know if I can use a optabe memory in my Wifi m.2 slot to make it even fastet.

Oh... last quesition. If i change from my i5 4200 to a higher processor, can i swith to ddr4? At the moment my maximum capacity is 16gb of DDR 3 ram and its a bit too low.
I´ll be looking forward to receiving your help.

Tku so much! Nicolas from Argentina.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

No I m sorry to report virtually nothing you ask about is doable. The processor is removeable but it is only designed to run up to an i5 processor. There is no way to use Optane; your laptop is too old. It cannot use DDR4; the memory slot is only keyed for DDR3 and the architecture of the motherboard is 2 generations before DDR4. You need to think in terms of a new laptop not an effort to upgrade this one. 

HP Recommended

Hello! And tku for your reply. What about using an i7 4940MX cpu? It is based on Haswell core too, and it utilizes Socket G3., the power consumption is slightly higher 57W. Or it could be the i7-4712MQ and that's a 37W CPU as well as the i5 4200 is.
These CPUs give an average better performance of 54% using the same architecture, socket, and power.

HP Recommended

Sure they perform better; on a motherboard that will run them. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

i5-3230M is the "best" processor" offered by HP on this model series and the only safe advice we can give is you must use a CPU listed in the Manual. Occasionally something else works for those brave enough to try. The jump from an i5-3230M to an i7-4940MX is pretty wide and I am pretty sure it will not work. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.