Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-af131dx Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 15-af131dx. I would like to put a faster CPU into it but I don't know wha my potential options are. I know it isn't officaiily supported, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I already know how to open it up, I did it once to install more ram.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So after doing some more research what you are not telling me is that the CPU is soddered to the board even though it is in a socket. Next time you give an answer please elaborate. I am an A+ Certified tech, and I live in the details. Just telling me it wont work does not satisfy me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following link shows specs of your computer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/8543365/model/8961406/document/c0479700...

It uses  2.0GHz AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 APU and replacing CPU means you also need to replace the system board. This is a very, very. very expensive upgrade.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry but your answer just doesn't do it for me. Why would I have to repace the whole board? Is the CPU sodered on? If it is in a socket and can be removed changing the board doesn't make sense. If you are giving me the stock HP answer because it isn't supported you are not helpful and should re-read my question. I don't need a link to the specs and didn't ask for one. Your answer was not helpful, didn't make sense, included links to info I already know, and was sparse on facts.

HP Recommended

So after doing some more research what you are not telling me is that the CPU is soddered to the board even though it is in a socket. Next time you give an answer please elaborate. I am an A+ Certified tech, and I live in the details. Just telling me it wont work does not satisfy me.

HP Recommended

@nytegeek wrote:

...  Next time you give an answer please elaborate. I am an A+ Certified tech, .

Hi,

Well, I'm only a C minus tech engineer. Sorry. What can I say here !!! At the end, you have worked this out yourself.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.