Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-f211wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I actually have a workaround for this issue..  But i wanted to post my experience to not only help others but to get comments back on what the possible core issue could be.   Also this is as much a software as it is possible bios and hardware, Hope i'm posting this in the right forum.  

So.. that being said! 

We purchased my wife a new laptop and gifted this one to my youngest for their remote schooling because of covid restrictions.  

kids laptop: HP 15-f211wm    4 gig ram / 500G  sata drive    Windows 10 x64

in looking at the laptop and getting it ready i did the typical downloading of Microsoft patches ( current as of 5/1/2020),  went to HPs support site and installed all of the appropriate drives / bios / firmware.  Working on the system i noticed how awful the performance was..   opening anything was painfully slow.  so once all of the os and driver patches were complete i decided to to the typical upgrades to older laptops  ( install SSD, Max out the ram - 8gig. ).   and this produced a slight performance difference..  but not anywhere near what i would expect..  and not enough to really make this laptop usable for school. 

so again typical   troubleshooting i wiped the drive and started from a fresh copy ( downloaded from MS using media creator) 

reload drivers. etc..   SAME RESULT..  as a last ditch..  i went to intel's website and pulled the latest drivers they offered..  and again .. nothing noticeable. 

At this point i'm now convinced that i have bad hardware..  except  HP hardware memtest and drive test show clean.  as i'm testing the system i notice that using cpu-z  the cpu clock NEVER rises above 499mhz... 

a little googling and i caught posts about changing power settings in windows..   no performance improvement. 

and then i caught a post about intelppm  ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/intel-power-management-driver-...

but i gave it a try and disabled intelppm via the registry and after reboot i had all the performance back .. and cpu-z was showing the cpu running at full clock speed.  

so there is the history and the "fix"   which is obviously going to affect battery life..  

Question to the community is .. have you see this?  do you have a fix other than turning off the cpu power management, I have all of the windows settings for power set right, and there seem to be no Bios settings for power management..  Not sure were to go to look at a  LONG TERM fix..   if there is one..  

Thanks for reading..  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@COLINHOBBS Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the CPU power scaling not working.

HP has locked a few settings on your computer which are being managed by the system configuration as the device is configured to its optimal performance. 

  

There's no way of resetting or changing these locked settings via HP articles or assistance, 

You could unlock and make changes at your own discretion using 3rd party tools, however, HP doesn't recommend the same nor has information about the tools used. 

I hope you understand. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.