Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8440p
Linux

Hello all,

I am writing to enquire about a CPU upgrade concerning a HP EliteBook 8440p. The laptop originally had an i5-520M processor(integrated graphics, no graphics card on the machine) which I thought about replacing. After some research I concluded that the best processor that I could acquire, compatible to my machine's socket which is the PGA988, was the i7-640M(integrated graphics as well).

When I got the i7 processor and replaced the i5 the computer did not start. The only thing that happened was that the lights above the keyboard flashed for a brief moment and then the computer shuts off. And that is what always occurs when I try to start the computer. Luckily, I got the laptop back to its previous working state just by putting the i5 back.

I have a suspicion that the culprit for this malfunction is the BIOS version. The BIOS version that I currently have is the F.0F which I did not try to update due to the fact that my OS is LINUX UBUNTU and the process of doing so is a bit convoluted.  That said I would like to ask the following:

1.  Is the BIOS version responsible for impeding the operation along with the i7?
  2.  If yes, which version should I update to in order to render it functional?
  3. Moreover, is there another factor that could play a role in the i7 failing to work?( Excluding the possibility that the processor I bought is defective)

Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i7-640M is not supported. The top i7 dual you can install is the i7-620M. 

Manual 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

i7-640M is not supported. The top i7 dual you can install is the i7-620M. 

Manual 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.