Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ61-210ei
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

What is the maximum processor upgrade for a HP Compaq Presario CQ61 - 260ei model with 2.0 Ghz Intel T4200 Dual Core processor inside?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

It depends on the chipset your notebook has.

Below is the link to the service manual which lists the supported processors in chapter 1.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01740724

If your notebook has the Intel GM45 or PM45 chipset, you can upgrade to the P8700.

If your notebook has the Intel GL40 chipset, you can upgrade to the T6600.

The GL 40 chipset can only run processors with a max FSB speed of 800 MHz.

If you don't know what chipset your notebook has, I have zipped up and attached a free utility below, that will provide that information.

HP Recommended

Chipset.jpg

HP Recommended

See screenshot above, which chipset is it and how far can I go... corei3? quad-core processor?

HP Recommended

It appears your notebook has the Intel 45 chipset.  I usually look at the summary window that first opens to find it.

The best you can do is the P8700.

No intel core processors will work in your PC.

HP Recommended

images (6).jpeg

I tried with this, but the laptop couldn't boot or even do POST. So I just returned my old processor.

HP Recommended

IMG_20200620_231112.jpg

This is my old processor, functional yes. But I want to upgrade it.

HP Recommended

Then you will have to use the T6600.

HP Recommended

I have upgraded to T9300.

So far so good it seems ok.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Too bad we didn't know that.

I bet if the T9300 works, then the T9500 would have worked too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.