Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 (1VW22AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Posting this for HP and other users who have posted similar issues.  I've seen 5 or more users with likely the same issue and no resolve.

CTRL button virtually stuck on HP Spectre X360 - Windows 10/64.  Keyboard not working.

Issue noticed 3JAN2020
HP Spectre X360 (1VW22AV)
Fully updated both Windows Update and HP Support as of 24DEC2019.

Keyboard stops functioning as normal. Trouble closing and rezizing windows with the mouse.
At CMD prompt, it appears the CTRL button is despressed. " ^Q^W^E^R^U^O^P " from top row.
USB keyboard attached - issue affects both keyboards. Pressing CTRL on USB keyboard allows normal typing for 1-2 minutes then must be repeated; this only works 50% of the time.
Windows Troubleshoot Keyboard - "No changes or updates needed."
Safe mode boot - same issue
Disabled Intel Integrated Sensor Solution - same issue.

Internal Windows Reset (3JAN2020)
No effect. Same issue.

Internal Windows Restore (3JAN2020)
No effect. Same issue.

Raw HP Restore Image (downloaded 4JAN2020)
Keyboard functions normal in BIOS.
Keyboard CTRL issue present on first boot of windows.
Accidently zoomed login screen using 2 finger pinch on trackpad. Keyboard working again.
Keyboard issue reappears 2 minutes later, pinch zoom fixes again.
Testing all keys. Right CTRL does nothing. Left works as expected.

So as of now, I am dealing with issue on reboot by pinch zooming.  This points to issue with Synaptic driver.  Any help would be welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DonnieJ,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I see that you have already followed all the relevant steps and it looks like a hardware issue. I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Also, we can run a hardware test on the keyboard following the steps in the below article to confirm the same.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04499777

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The issue is worse than I thought. The pinch zoom of the mousepad does not help anymore.

1) The issue restart on Restart or Sleep

2) Sticky Keys and Filter Keys disabled

3) Pressing left CTRL on an external keyboard does fix the issue.  NOT PRACTICAL FOR EVERYDAY USE.

4) Occasionally, the On-Screen Keyboard can be brought up at start up.  The Left CTRL key is shown highlighted (depressed).  Pressing a combination of CTRL FN ALT WIN on-screen in a smashy, furious, "why did I buy this" sort of way might allow normal typing again (until sleep or restart).

Basically, the laptop is not useful right now.  Any advise would be wonderful.

HP Recommended

One more update.

When the left-CTRL button is pressed on a USB keyboard, both keyboards work.  BUT, the left CTRL button does not work on the laptop.  The left-CTRL works on the external keyboard.  It is confirmed on https://www.keybr.com/.  The laptop left-CTRL does not activate when pressed.

Now this seems like a hardware issue.  How do we determine?

HP Recommended

@DonnieJ,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I see that you have already followed all the relevant steps and it looks like a hardware issue. I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Also, we can run a hardware test on the keyboard following the steps in the below article to confirm the same.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04499777

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The_Fossette, thank you.  We completed the repair service.  For others interested, the repair was delayed by 5 days and a new laptop was returned, not our original.  I assume a keyboard replacement was not sufficient.  The new laptop was identical specs, exact same SDD and therefore settings, etc,  and HP did a great job.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@DonnieJ,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.