Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 model 14-ba087nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello,

My Pavilion x360 model (14-ba087nz) comes with an SSD m.2 HD of 256 GB. Unfortunately, it is almost full because of media files (photo, video etc.) that do not really require a fast HD. I am trying to figure out, if there is space in the computer to add a normal HD (in parallel to the SSD drive), or my only choice is to buy a bigger SSD m.2. I know that when I bought the computer, there were other models that came with a 1TB HD (not SSD), so I think there should be space inside, but I don't know if it is enough for both HD and SSD. 

Yours,

Ron. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is room but you were not provided with some hardware that will be needed to add a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD. 

See p. 43 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

The hard drive spare part kit does not include the hard drive rubber sleeve. The hard drive rubber sleeve is available using spare part number 924283-001

These parts are hard to locate and expensive when you do:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-HP-Inc-924283-001-Rubber-Sleeve-HDD/401813092305?epid=17029476494&hash=i...

You also need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/CBK-14M-BA011DX-14M-BA013DX-14M-BA015DX-450-0BZ05-0001/dp/B07H27W3GD

After all is said and one you may be better off installing a larger capacity NVME disk. And if all you need is file storage there is always the option of an SD card. They make those in at least 256 gig capacity now and the better ones are plenty fast for even video file storage.

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There is room but you were not provided with some hardware that will be needed to add a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD. 

See p. 43 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

The hard drive spare part kit does not include the hard drive rubber sleeve. The hard drive rubber sleeve is available using spare part number 924283-001

These parts are hard to locate and expensive when you do:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-HP-Inc-924283-001-Rubber-Sleeve-HDD/401813092305?epid=17029476494&hash=i...

You also need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/CBK-14M-BA011DX-14M-BA013DX-14M-BA015DX-450-0BZ05-0001/dp/B07H27W3GD

After all is said and one you may be better off installing a larger capacity NVME disk. And if all you need is file storage there is always the option of an SD card. They make those in at least 256 gig capacity now and the better ones are plenty fast for even video file storage.

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

A small question - using an SD card as you suggest - do you think that modern SD cards are as reliable as SSD drives? 

Yours,

Ron. 

HP Recommended

No an SD card would be a lesser option. The insertion and locking mechanism on the SD card slot tends to be a bit fragile so does not stand up to frequent insertion and removal and the card would stick out the side to some extent. It is very easy and does not require turning a screwdriver however so it has that to recommend it. The price of say a 1 TB M.2 SSD is much lower than a year ago and I would likely do that upgrade were it my laptop. Post back if you want some help finding one. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick answer. I was thinking of buying the following items in amazon:

I was thinking that if I already open my machine, I should also upgrade the memory (I am not a gamer, but I have usually more than 50 chrome windows open, word, excel, and powerpoint with a few files all at the same time). I understood that in order to image my SSD into the new one, I also need a case/usb adapteur. 

I would be happy to hear your opinion on my choices, and any suggestion for improvements. 

Yours,

Ron. 

HP Recommended

All three of those devices will work as you hope. It appears your laptop can only run SATA M.2 SSD and that is what is in it. 

You can avoid getting the external adapter box if you just make an image and use that to restore onto the new larger M.2. However, you may want to keep using the original M.2 as storage in which case you need an adapter box like the one you ask about. 

Let us know if there are other questions or concerns. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.