Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-fq1021nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am purchasing a 14-fq1021nr Notebook and cannot find out if I can add an additional SSD Drive. If you can how can I determine a compatible SSD Drive.

Also how much RAM can you install and again how do I determine compatible RAM.

Hoping you can help.

Cheers

Wazza

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your PC comes with a 256 GB NVMe SSD, so you can replace that drive with another brand NVMe SSD having a larger storage capacity.

The Samsung 980 seems to be a very popular and affordably priced model.

980 SSD | Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor

For example, a 1 TB model of the above drive costs less than $110 USD.

Samsung 980 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD M.2 MZ-V8V1T0B/AM - Best Buy

Manuals...unfortunately, HP only has the manual for the older models listed.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

Perhaps you will be able to use it to help you take the notebook apart.

Make sure you get DDR4-3200 memory for your notebook and not the speeds listed in the manual.

Since the manual is old, the max memory info may be outdated to.

If you want to see how much memory you can install in your notebook, you can do this...

1. In the Windows search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once the command prompt is open, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it as follows...

Gigabytes = Kilobytes ÷ 1,048,576 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is only one M.2 slot for a NVMe SSD.

If you want more storage, you will have to replace the 256 GB SSD with one having more storage capacity.

Memory...2 x 8 GB of memory is supported.

HP Recommended

Many thanks Paul for such a prompt reply.

Is there a link where I could have checked this myself?. I am a bit embarrassed that I had to ask. I did try and search without success.

Would there be a specific SSD Drive that is compatible or is there a HP one I could purchase or is it a generic type of Drive.

Again. thank you for your help.

Cheers

Wazza

BTW I am 74 yo and still learning. Isn't that good. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your PC comes with a 256 GB NVMe SSD, so you can replace that drive with another brand NVMe SSD having a larger storage capacity.

The Samsung 980 seems to be a very popular and affordably priced model.

980 SSD | Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor

For example, a 1 TB model of the above drive costs less than $110 USD.

Samsung 980 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD M.2 MZ-V8V1T0B/AM - Best Buy

Manuals...unfortunately, HP only has the manual for the older models listed.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

Perhaps you will be able to use it to help you take the notebook apart.

Make sure you get DDR4-3200 memory for your notebook and not the speeds listed in the manual.

Since the manual is old, the max memory info may be outdated to.

If you want to see how much memory you can install in your notebook, you can do this...

1. In the Windows search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once the command prompt is open, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it as follows...

Gigabytes = Kilobytes ÷ 1,048,576 

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for taking time out to give such a detailed response. 

Very grateful, and it is just the complete information I needed.

You know what, it feels good when you receive assistance given the crazy state of the World at the moment.

Fun Fact

I first had a Commodore 64 and then in 1991 my first real computer was a Commodore PS45 Slimline 16 MHz.

It had a 1.2 Mb Drive (5.25") and 256 Kb SIMM Memory Module. It was state of the art at that time.

Cost

1991 USD$2012.60 and in todays USD equivalent is USD$4014.80.

Again Thank you.

Cheers

Wazza

HP Recommended

Anytime, Wazza.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Yes, I remember those days, and at the time you had one of the best PC's out there!

My first PC was an Acer that had an Intel 486 processor, 512 MB hard drive, 4 MB of memory and a CD drive.

I think it set me back around $1,200 USD in 1995.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.