Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-ce0068st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All, just bought Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND. Can you please advise if this is compatible with my HP Pavilion 14-ce0068st model ?

Appreciate quick response.

1. Also can you list down or advise step by step process to insert in laptop. 
  2. How can do benchmark comparison before and after the upgrade ?
  3. Will this increase laptop performance like boot, apps open and close, launching Visual studio, ecplise etc ?
  4. What do you prefer i should got for memory upgrade or not ? Currently have 8 GB memory. I only use laptop for basic operations like browsing, ecplise programing, lightroom editing

Product purchased-

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=154204...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The HP Cloud Recovery utility that enables you to create a USB recovery Flash drive is free. It was included in the purchase of the notebook.  

You can leave the legacy SATA3 HDD in place, but I recommend removing it while you install the OS to the M.2 SSD. ONce the install is complete, you can install the other programs that you want to run from the M.2 NVMe SSD.

You will definitely want the M.2 SSD to be the boot drive that contains the OS, otherwise you won't really see the performance boost. 

I suggest copying any important data from the original HDD since you will be using it for storage.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

M.2 and 2.5" notebook SSD products that are compatible with your notebook will be SATA3 and NVMe, according to the Notebook's Maintenance & Service guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06248869

So. the SSD should work without issue, according to the HP manual. Crucial Memory shows otherwise. They guarantee only SATA3 SSD products as working.

Since you already pulled the trigger on the purchase of the SSD, you may as well give it a shot.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info Erico. I had quick chat with crucial chat support and they said this-Yes, it supports 500gb NVMe drive (Part # is CT500P5SSD8 ). But still not convinced with their response.😊

1. If I try to plug in the Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB which i ordered, does it cause any harm to laptop ?
  2. any step by step process of doing this you recommend 
  3. Also can you advise how to take complete laptop backup to ensure windows is installed on SSD ?
  4. Do i need to take back up of my D driver, which is non-windows files ?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended
  1. If I try to plug in the Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB which i ordered, does it cause any harm to laptop ? No. It won't harm the notebook as long as you don't damage anything while installing it physically.
  2. any step by step process of doing this you recommend  I will edit this in a short while and see if I can find a video that shows how the SSD should be installed
  3. Also can you advise how to take complete laptop backup to ensure windows is installed on SSD ? Use the HP Cloud Recovery utility and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create a bootable Windows installer . Using only mainstream brands of USB flash drives is recommended.
  4. Do i need to take back up of my D driver, which is non-windows files ? That is probably the recovery partition, so that is a no.

HP Cloud Recovery document

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Cloud Recovery tool

http://hpsupport.cloudrecoverytool.download.s3.amazonaws.com/HPCloudRecoveryTool.exe

The video is done with a notebook with the same series code name as yours.  Use a plastic spudging tool or old credit card to separate the lower laptop cover from the rest of the notebook. Do not use a metal tool like the guy in this video. Otherwise the video is good.

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico, your details are really helpful. I am yet to receive the SSD. I will keep posted as soon as I install it. Is HP Cloud recovery flow free to use or i need to pay for cloud storage ?

And I can still keep my original 1TB Harddisk in laptop. No need to remove it correct?

HP Recommended

The HP Cloud Recovery utility that enables you to create a USB recovery Flash drive is free. It was included in the purchase of the notebook.  

You can leave the legacy SATA3 HDD in place, but I recommend removing it while you install the OS to the M.2 SSD. ONce the install is complete, you can install the other programs that you want to run from the M.2 NVMe SSD.

You will definitely want the M.2 SSD to be the boot drive that contains the OS, otherwise you won't really see the performance boost. 

I suggest copying any important data from the original HDD since you will be using it for storage.  

HP Recommended

Quick update guys, i am able to successfully install Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe IISSD to my HP laptop and the speed is overwhelming. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.