Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was thinking on upgrading my pc by adding an M.2 ssd.  The model number is LAPTOP-S8VRNQO9.

Do I have the slots to add any kind of M.2?

Thank you very much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have no M.2 slot. M.2 can be added only with an adapter sled in the hard drive bay and then only a SATA M.2. You are better off installing a 2.5 inch SATA SSD because your laptop likely came with all needed adapter hardware if you have a hard drive. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's M.2 slot only supports SATA M.2 SSD's, not NVMe.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types.

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

You have no M.2 slot. M.2 can be added only with an adapter sled in the hard drive bay and then only a SATA M.2. You are better off installing a 2.5 inch SATA SSD because your laptop likely came with all needed adapter hardware if you have a hard drive. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @Huffer 

As far as I am aware all of the Intel 15-bs### notebooks have M.2 slots unless they come with Pentium processors.

There are dozens of posts regarding this model with screenshots and every one of them have M.2 slots.

Here is one that I just answered yesterday...

Re: Can i upgrade to m2 NVme ssd? - HP Support Community - 7999260

HP Recommended

I thought so, too but if you look at the Manual and try to find the M.2 slot on the motherboard its not depicted. The only M.2 is shown in a sled. I always try to pinpoint for folks where the M.2 slot is and in this case I could not. And yet the Manual also mentions a dual storage option. @Paul_Tikkanen 

Looked again. P. 47 shows it:

Red circleRed circle

Apologies. But it is SATA only and this model series has been known to have this slot missing on the motherboard as delivered. So open and check it out before buying an M.2

HP Recommended

I just answered this post this morning...this model also has a M.2 slot...

Re: Does my system has M2 slot ? if yes then which one to b... - HP Support Community - 8000067

HP Recommended

@Somebody18  thanks for the Solution but the "answer" by me that you marked is mostly incorrect so please reassign to @Paul_Tikkanen  who got it right. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.