Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My system currently has 3 GB RAM which I know cannot support 64 bit, and i need at least 4 GB but is there something I can replace (like possibly the motherboard?) to get it to run? I do have some knowledge on things of this matter but I hear people say that things like this aren't possible but then there are people who say it is possible. I really appreciate any help, so thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have it backwards. You do not need 4 gigs of RAM to run 64 bit Windows; you need 64 bit Windows to support over 3 gigs of RAM. We would need to know the exact model but as far as I know most if not all G60s will run 64 bit Windows. All that is needed is a 64 bit processor. If the computer has a 64 bit processor it obviously has a motherboard and chipset that will support a 64 bit processor. All the AMD Turion x2 processors are 64 bit, for example. Even some Semprons and Celerons are 64 bit processors. You can install 64 bit Windows on 2 gigs of RAM as long as the processor supports it. There is no good reason to do it, but it can be done.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

You have it backwards. You do not need 4 gigs of RAM to run 64 bit Windows; you need 64 bit Windows to support over 3 gigs of RAM. We would need to know the exact model but as far as I know most if not all G60s will run 64 bit Windows. All that is needed is a 64 bit processor. If the computer has a 64 bit processor it obviously has a motherboard and chipset that will support a 64 bit processor. All the AMD Turion x2 processors are 64 bit, for example. Even some Semprons and Celerons are 64 bit processors. You can install 64 bit Windows on 2 gigs of RAM as long as the processor supports it. There is no good reason to do it, but it can be done.

HP Recommended

My computer is an HP G60 235-DX, with an Intel Pentium @ 2GHz, and i was also wondering if it would be possible for me to replace my Intel processor with a newer AMD processor.

HP Recommended

You have the T4200 Pentium Dual Core which is a 64 bit processor. You would need to change motherboards to change to an AMD processor and it would not even be a sure thing it could be done.

HP Recommended

Ok well would it be possibe to possibe to replace the graphics card? From what Ive heard this helps when trying to play games, mine will lag quite a bit and ive tried the solutions that my computer gives me and it's not enough. And yes I know I have a lot of questions and it might be annoying so I really appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

Ok well would it be possibe to possibe to replace the graphics card? From what Ive heard this helps when trying to play games, mine will lag quite a bit and ive tried the solutions that my computer gives me and it's not enough. And yes I know I have a lot of questions and it might be annoying but I really appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

No they are legitimate questions I just wish I had better answers for you. On a laptop the graphics "card" is a chip on the motherboard which is hard soldered. There is no available upgrade path. The only thing you can practically do is sell your laptop and buy one with the hardware you want. This is almost always easier and no more expensive than radical hardware modifications like a new motherboard. In your case I do not think the G60 even had an option for a good video card. Apparently some came with an nVidia GeForce 9200 mobile but that is not much better than the Intel 4500 yours likely has.  Theoretically you could install the motherboard with the nVidia graphics chip but that would be very expensive and difficult to do. This is the part you would need:

UMA system board, NVIDIA (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, HDMI port, and
replacement thermal material)
498460-001

This is an AMD board so you would also need a different processor and it might be necessary to slightly modify the case with a dremel tool.

HP Recommended
Please kindly assist me I need your urgent assistance, I do a system recovery and unfortunately I didn't do system backup, when I was doing system recovery I was almost done but unfortunately the light went off and my laptop Battery was dead, everything went off, when I plug to light the system couldn't continue installation of my software and application. when I boot on the system was saying preparing to configure the software but unfortunately it shows configuration error. I don't know how to fix it , please help.
HP Recommended
Well it's alright, I threw that computer away and got a new windows 8 g6 last year and put an A10 4600 in it since that is the best "trinity" processor I could put in it. I also added an additional 4gb of ram and changed the hdd out with an ssd. I also replaced the disk drive with conversion that allows another hard drive and I put my hdd in there. People are always saying you can't upgrade a laptop but there's plenty you can do. And I was told it wasn't possible to do almost all of those things but it was simplistic and didn't take long at all. I appreciate the help though guys.
HP Recommended

No one said it is not possible....just expensive and voids the warranty in most cases. You might let us know how much you spent on all those upgrades so people can decide if it would have been better to just buy a laptop with the extra features to begin with.  Still, thanks for the report and enjoy the upgrades.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.