Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP - Pavilion 14-ce2500sa
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My HP - Pavilion 14-ce2500sa 14" Intel® Core™ i3 Laptop - 256 GB SSD has now black screen after turning on. I tried various suggestions online but still no success in getting it to work. I bought a new laptop but I would like to recover data from my old HP-Pavilion's hard drive. When I brought it to the repair shop asking to remove hard drive and put it in the hard drive case for use on my new laptop, I was told it is build in and cannot be taken out. However, on this forum I see that hard drive in HP Pavilion can be replaced. I would like to ask, can I take out the hard drive and put it in the hard drive case? and if I can, which hard drive case would be suitable?

Many thanks for your help.

Magdalena

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Magdalena:

Personally, I wouldn't risk taking apart a brand-new notebook to install a drive from another one with no guarantee it would boot up, let alone for you to be able to recover any files.

You may end up with two wrecked new notebooks.

Instead, I would remove the 256 GB NVMe SSD from the broken PC, buy a USB3 to NVMe adapter, plug it into your new PC's USB 3 port and see if you can read/copy any files from the drive that way.

Something like this...

ORICO M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure Aluminum Tool-Free Adapter, 10Gbps USB3.2 USB-C M2 Reader for M.2 PCIe ...

Below is the link to the service manual for your 14-ce2500sa notebook, where you can find the M.2 SSD removal and replacement procedure.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 14 Laptop PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

HP Recommended

[ I'm discreetly retreating since, as @Paul_Tikkanen wrote, the notebook has a 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD according to the specs. ]

HP Recommended

Hi, @ub6424 

The notebook in question has a M.2 NVMe SSD not a 2.5" drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Paul_Tikkanen, very useful. I just ordered the adapter and hoping it will work 🙂

Thanks again, Magdalena

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Magdalena.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.