Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-y004nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there

Just purchased a HP laptop 17-y004nv, AMD A6 7310, 4GB ram, 500 GB HDD, R5 M430 2 GB

The laptop came with 4gb ram and just wondering if I could take it to 8gb.

On the purchase store website (which is in Greek) I cant make out if it sais "MAX 4GB" in other words not upgradable or if it just means MAX ram laptop has is 4GB, so a bit confused...

Website also says laptop has 1 x RAM So-dimm slot, if this means anything when it comes to it being upgradable or not.

Any help here will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Xandros

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The 4 gig to 8 gig upgrade is the best in terms of value. Most people have little need for more than 8 gigs and it sounds like you are in that category by how you use the computer. 

The Manual shows exactly how to acces the memory slots and I think on yours access is from the back and you do not need to remove the keyboard. But follow the steps outlined. It is still a pretty big task from what I saw...lots of screws. 

An AMD A6 is a much lower performing processor than the i7. I would expect the computer to be slower than an i7. The memory upgrade should help somewhat. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

From the Manual:

DDR3L-1600 single channel support 1.35V Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

Manual

Pages 39-48. Remove the bottom cover and you will see the memory slots. 

8-GB 693374-005

4-GB 691740-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=...

You can also find the 8 gig module(s) on amazon.com.

Post back if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer

Thank you so much for your reply. I am glad to hear it's upgradable, for your links and what RAM is supported.

One final thing...

Any advice as to what you would reccomend here as regards memory size and performance ?

Would going to 8GB give me a significant or noticable difference in speed ?

The laptop is not used for anything other than web browsing, playing Youtube clips and Skype but it is quite slow in opening these applications and windows and then waiting for them to load.

This HP laptop I am writing about is for another family member. I personaly have a 5 year old i7 with 8GB ram and it is way way faster than this. Wondering if perhaps Windows 10 has anything to do with slowing things down as I still use Windows 7 mind you...

As for opening the back cover, will I find the RAM slots on this laptop without needing to lift the keyboard ?

Thank you so much for your help...it is much appreciated 🙂

HP Recommended

The 4 gig to 8 gig upgrade is the best in terms of value. Most people have little need for more than 8 gigs and it sounds like you are in that category by how you use the computer. 

The Manual shows exactly how to acces the memory slots and I think on yours access is from the back and you do not need to remove the keyboard. But follow the steps outlined. It is still a pretty big task from what I saw...lots of screws. 

An AMD A6 is a much lower performing processor than the i7. I would expect the computer to be slower than an i7. The memory upgrade should help somewhat. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.