Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario C700 Laptop and I wanted to know if its possible to upgrade my processor.

My current processor is "Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  T2310  @ 1.46GHz"

(Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz)

I want to upgrade to a faster one (at least 1.70GHz, but would prefer 2.00GHz+), but I'm not sure if it's okay. I have searched a bit and I'm pretty sure that a "Core 2 Duo T8300 processor @ 2.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB" would work and it's the best I could find.

(Core 2 Duo T8300 processor @ 2.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB)

They both support the same socket (PGA478 right?) and same package size.

So what I want to know is can I upgrade to the processor I mentioned or a better one if possible, and if not what can I upgrade to?

Would really appreciate any support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK... So, here is list of processor that was tested on this, which I will say should work...any thing outside this list, I am not sure...

• T7250 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 2MB L2 cache)
  • T7100 (1.8GHz, 800MHz, 2MB L2 cache)
  • T2310 (1.46GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 cache)
  • T2330 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 cache)
  • _________________________________________________________
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
    Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
    HP Recommended

You ask me Processor upgrade is just a bad idea when it comes to notebooks...Every notebook is designed keep Thermal and power consumption in mind...The bigger challenge is going to be installing it, that would be like ripping a part the whole notebook...plus would like to add, the laptop processors are hard to find...

If i may ask, why are you looking to upgrade the processor?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
    HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply Cyclops.

Main reason is that I use this computer to play games, and some of them need a faster processor. And its cheaper than buying a new computer altogether.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that the install part won't really be a problem for me, since I plan to take it to a shop.

HP Recommended

Honestly, today you are getting a i3 or i5 for $650 ( I am talking US, should be about the same in other regions as well) like the new dv6t-3000...The processor along will cost you $236 (On Amazon) and  Labour for getting it fix your would have spent, cool ~ $400, at the end of it, the performance if not going to be the same as new i series processor plus ripping apart a notebook is risky as well...I think you are better of selling this notebook and getting new system...

I think if we are upgrading from c700, go for G62t Series, which is starting at $499 & graphic card $ 550

HP Recommended

Problem is, I just spent around $200 fixing the monitor on this system, and buying a new one isn't really an option for me.

And I have a relative that is good with hardware so the labour wouldn't be a problem, $236 sounds good to me. The only thing I'm afraid of is that the processor won't work with me.

So I guess the bottom line is will it work with me or not?

And thank you for your support.

HP Recommended

OK... So, here is list of processor that was tested on this, which I will say should work...any thing outside this list, I am not sure...

• T7250 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 2MB L2 cache)
  • T7100 (1.8GHz, 800MHz, 2MB L2 cache)
  • T2310 (1.46GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 cache)
  • T2330 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 cache)
  • _________________________________________________________
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

depending on the part number of your system board. this is the list of all the processors that were used in c700

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.40-GHz, 3 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 459798-001

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (2.10-GHz, 3 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 459797-001

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.00-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 454320-001

Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.80-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 448149-001

Intel Core Duo T5750 (2.00-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 462353-001

Intel Core Duo T5450 (1.67-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 451597-001

Intel Core Duo T2370 (1.73-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 462354-001

Intel Core Duo T2330 (1.60-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 455944-001

Intel Core Duo T2310 (1.46-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 455943-001

Intel Celeron M 550 (2.00-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB) 454322-001

Intel Celeron M 540 (1.86-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB) 454321-001

Intel Celeron M 530 (1.73-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB) 455437-001

HP Recommended

Although this is a year late, I've just upgraded my C751NR with a T8300, but it has not been a smooth transition.

The BIOS on the laptop was f.23.  It needed to be updated to even POST.  I've tried both f.35 and f.34 with some success, but also some issues.

- The touchpad sometimes fails to work, requiring a couple reboots for it to show up.

Further, the upgrade has broken ACPI.
    - Temperature reporting is broken, reporting 26.8°C on the second core under Linux and errors on the first core, 30°C on the first core under Vista, 38°C on the second.  The temps never change, but the fan does at least kick in when the laptop warms up.

- CPU throttling is broken.  The system reports a firmware bug about invalid BIOS _PSS frequencies.

When time permits, I will try some older BIOS revisions. 

HP Recommended

Thought I would add to this old thread as this is what came up when I searched about upgrading a C751NR's CPU. I just upgraded my C751NR with a T6500 processor. It required a bois update (F.35), but everything is working great and the system is much faster. The cpu's speed boost is to be working fine. Cpuz shows the speed at 1200mhz when idol and jumping to 2100mhz when loaded.

If you can handle taking apart your laptop and reapplying thermal paste this is definitely a great upgrade for this aging laptop. The T6500 is selling for ~$25 used on eBay. I already upgraded the ram to 2GB (2x1GB DDR667) when I bought the laptop years ago, so having DDR2 667 ram was not an issue for me.

I have read from some other threads that this laptop it will handle 3GB, but not 4GB. Anyone know if this is still the case with the F.35 bios?

My windows experience index went

from     to

CPU         4.3        5.1          T2330 to T6500

Memory   4.4        4.9           same ram but running at 667mhz instead of 533mhz with new cpu.

2d             3.1        3.2

3d             3.3        3.4

HHD         4.7        5.4          different used 160GB 5400rmp hard drive.

Notes:

I have been using the laptop for hours at a time for a couple weeks now without any issues.

I have not checked the temperatures, but it doesn't feel any hotter. If anything, the air being exhausted by the side fan is cooler.

Updating the bios is required. System will not bootup without bios update.

Replacing the cpu pretty much requires disassembling the entire laptop. Disconnecting and reconnecting the small ribbon cables can be a pain.

HP Recommended

Just upgraded to T7300 core 2 duo processor (2 GHz, 4mb L2, 800MHz FSB).  Huge difference in loading Word 2010. Under the original processor, I thought it had frozen the first time I tried starting Word. More actual testing to be done, but has been running great for the past few weeks. F.35 BIOS.

I went to the F.35 BIOS some time ago.  I currentlyhave 3GB RAM installed using 1GB in the bottom slot and 2GB in the top slot. By all accounts, 2GB will not work in the bottom slot and my experience was the same - I went to the F.35 to try to get this to work. So F.35 will probably not fix this.

I have read one account saying they were able use 4GB by doing a clean install of Vista x64 -  I will try a clean install of Win7x64 and see what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.