Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15-aq100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to replace the existing 128GB  M.2 2280 SSD drive with a NMVE 256 SSD on ENVY x360 15 -aq100na.

1. Is this possible ?  Is the new interface supported in terms of the connector and motherboard ?

2. Would I get the full benefit of the faster NMVE SSD ?

3. What is the procedure for doing this ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DaveMackers 

1. No, you have to use M.2 SATA 3 SSD's,

2. N/A

3. What I normally do (at least 6 times a year):

(a) Clone old drive to new drive,

(b) Swap them

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@DaveMackers 

1. No, you have to use M.2 SATA 3 SSD's,

2. N/A

3. What I normally do (at least 6 times a year):

(a) Clone old drive to new drive,

(b) Swap them

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Banhien, I followed your advice.

I have now successfully upgraded my primary disk from 128GB to 500GB M.2 SATA 3 SSD

My notes...

1. I used an external M.2 SATA Caddy attached to my laptop via USB to house the target SDD.

2. I used the freeversion of EaseUS ToDo Backup to clone disk 0 (the SDD I wanted to upgrade)

3. Opened my laptop and replaced the old SSD card with the new.

The only complication I had was that initially I could not increase the size of my C: Windows partition because the Windows RE tools partition was between C:Windows partition and unallocated space. I overcame this problem by ...

1.Using the free version of EaseUs Partition Master to move the Windows RE partition to the end of the disk, so that the C:Windows partition and the unallocated space were next to each other.

2. I then used Windows Disk Manager to extend the C:Windows partition.

Problem solved !

Also note that the windows utility reagentc is useful to make sure that your recovery partition is enabled.

To check if the partition is enabled...

reagentc /info

if not to enable

reagentc /enable

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.